RGM Advisors, LLC

There are newer employer reviews for RGM Advisors, LLC

Great experience

Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in Austin, TX

I have been working at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I recently joined as a quant researcher, and my experience so far has been great! The people are both smart and kind. Everyone is very competent and supportive so, if you ever run into an obstacle outside of your area of expertise, you can count on the support of smart colleagues. It is an exciting atmosphere and the problem space is extremely rich. There is room for improvement everywhere, yet the complexity is such that every problem requires a good deal of insight. In short, if you like math, playing with lots of data and working on hard problems, this is the ideal job. Also worth mentioning is the fact that the IT infrastructure is top-notch and well supported, so that is unlikely to ever stand in your way.

The offices are very nice and offer great views of Austin. Also, each floor has a kitchen stocked with snacks and drinks, and each kitchen has a different coffee maker. The atmosphere is casual, and the hours very flexible.

Cons

If you are really into what you do, it will be hard to force yourself to take breaks (although there is no expectation that you will overwork yourself whatsoever!).

10 Other Employee Reviews for RGM Advisors, LLC (View Most Recent)

Great company for those with families and who want to stay firmly in your comfort zone.

Former Employee - Trader in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Trader in Austin, TX

I worked at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Comfortable offices, and constantly changing difficult problem to solve. Very sharp colleagues.

Cons

Horizontal management structure limits any growth. Compensation is driven by random assignment of strategy allocation, and well below industry standards. One of my colleagues referred to the system of resource allocation as a high school popularity contest.

A fantastic place to work in a field I didn't expect to enjoy.

Current Employee - Database Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Database Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work environment is located in Downtown Austin, with views of the surround hills and lake, a modern design aesthetic, and any equipment you can desire. Despite being a financial firm, we operate as a technology firm first and foremost.

Getting to actual work involves by and large hands-off management, which works great for the right kind of personnel. High expectations are placed on everyone, from estimating effort through to project completion.

Projects are varied and interesting, since we deal with huge amounts of data, tons of computing power, and what sound like far-fetched ideas. When it all comes together, the things that our technology is capable of can be downright staggering, from the research to the trading through to the back office systems.

The level of talent is unmatched in my experience, which is a keeps me both motivated and on my toes. The conversations, whether work related or just geeking out over whatever it is we're into, are always fun..

We are treated well in all regards - from the simple things like food and drink to management understanding that working more hours doesn't make us more productive or valuable, it all adds up to a great work life, but more importantly, one that treads lightly on the life outside of work.

Also, meetings are used as a tool, not as the solution to every problem. Between this and the quality of life, that's what I have enjoyed the most as improvements over previous work environments.

Cons

To keep from sounding too positive to be believed, there are a few.

The work environment can be challenging if you are not self-motivated and disciplined, and those are things that cannot be gleaned from a resume or judged in an interview, so candidates should be very honest with themselves and RGM regarding those aspects of their personality, or expect to really focus on that as part of your personal development.

Getting new candidates has been challenging, which is unfortunate. We do have a very rigorous process, but I wouldn't make it easier just to get more bodies in the building.

Working from home isn't necessarily the best idea, as you can miss out on valuable context through conversations that really help build the picture and inform your decision making.

Company performance is very highly correlated with factors outside of our control, which can be very frustrating to see in contrast with the continued improvement of our technology and personnel.

The steady handed approach is something I'm very pleased to see, through ups and downs, and I believe that needs to stay a core piece of the enterprise to keep us in the hunt as one of the best places to work, and keep our performance at a high level. Things must change over time, but management builds trust at ever major decision point which makes the change more acceptable - just don't abuse that trust.

There are newer employer reviews for RGM Advisors, LLC