There are newer employer reviews for RTI International

Interesting work but not without business challenges

Former Employee - Senior Director in Waltham, MA
Former Employee - Senior Director in Waltham, MA

I worked at RTI International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work is extremely interesting and socially valuable; staff in general are extremely collegial

Cons

Communication across offices was difficult -- Waltham is a spoke and RDU is definitely the hub of all important decision making. This posed a number of problems in recruitment of new staff -- often the wage/salary dynamics of the RDU market dominated the thinking rather than what it takes to hire into the Boston market. For some kinds of positions that doesn't matter, but for more commercially focused work the wage/salary disparity between the two regions was striking. It made it nearly impossible to recruit staff at an acceptable comp level.

Advice to Management

None needed -- lessons were learned. Important point to emphasize is that these are good people. I was treated very well.

reviews filtered by
  1. Meaningful work supporting a company dedicated to improving the human condition. Sounds hokey, but true. :)

Current Employee - Systems Administrator III in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator III in Durham, NC

I have been working at RTI International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Smartest people I have ever worked with. Longevity is valued. Most people I work with have been at RTI for 5-20 years.

Cons

Bureaucracy has grown a bit in the past few years. We seem to becoming a bit top-heavy management-wise. This could just be cyclical though.

Can be pretty unpleasant at BA level.

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Durham, NC

I have been working at RTI International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty good pay for what you do. Good benefits. Not expected (at BA level) to work over 40 hours per week (see one exception in Cons). Nice campus. Lots of little perks.

Cons

Lack of investment in "junior staff". Lack of respect for non-graduate degree holders -- see previous sentence. Can be very difficult to manage workload unless you have one primary supervisor. I have several supervisors and all expect you to drop everything to address their needs. Staff is expected to donate time for staff meetings.

Advice to Management

Cut out the free food and needless perks and incentivize staff with bonus vacation time or just a regular bonus. I also feel we spend entirely too much money on landscaping and silly flat screens that no one watches. Keep in mind that staff see these things in combination with lay-offs, restrictions on charging for meetings, TERRIBLE raises, etc and it can be very hard to swallow at times.

There are newer employer reviews for RTI International