There are newer employer reviews for RTI International

A company that makes a difference around the world but has a lot of internal issues.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at RTI International

Pros

A chance to colloborate with other experts around the world.

Cons

Lack of accountability in the workplace. Work life balance is lacking even though they promote it.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to learn a lot

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at RTI International

Pros

It was my first job - was paid decently and learned a good amount about the real world. My boss was excellent.

Cons

I actually don't have any cons. My base pay was low but I started when I was in high school so what can I expect?

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Maybe we can have some more corporate retreats and go to fantastic places, like Europe.

Recommend as an employer but with caveats

Former Employee - Survey Director in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Survey Director in Durham, NC

I worked at RTI International

Pros

Great benefits, better than most places. Generally flexible about working hours and many people are telecommuters (depends on the division). There are many good people at RTI (for the most part) who are truly interested in improving the human condition and hope their work contributes to that.

Cons

Management is very adept at making it look on paper like employees have time to fulfill all of the things they require on their performance evaluation (in addition to project work). The reality is that project work consumes the work week and these extras, like professional development, marketing, and proposals, very frequently end up being done on your own time. Additionally, if you don't have PhD after your name it is hard to get some of the PhDs to take your ideas seriously.

Advice to Management

As I said under "Cons," management makes it appear like employees have time to fulfill all of the tasks on which they are evaluated but in truth they do not if they are 100% sold on a project. This needs to change. And in my diviision (Survey Research Division), management needs to establish and fund an "Introduction to Field Management" course for all incoming staff who have never supervised field staff and/or don't know the RTI management & IT systems for field management.