Great benefits

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Rack Room Shoes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a store manager, I get lots of vacation time. I get a 40% discount on merchandise. I've been working with some of the same people for a long time, and it's become like a second family to me. The business meetings aren't too bad and I feel fairly comfortable that this job is secure and the company won't just up and close any time soon. For part-timers, you can start earning vacation time after a while, and we always try to be flexible with scheduling when possible. Many of the corporate people worked in stores themselves, so they do have an idea of what it is like because they had to "work their way up".

Cons

There's a LOT to deal with--messy, demanding customers, mystery shoppers who pull your attention away from customers who actually need assistance, CONSTANT remerchandising and repricing, random corporate visits that middle management freaks out over, and the pushing of rewards program. This is all to be expected for retail (doesn't make it any more tolerable), but Rack Room has awful pay compared to their competitors for the same job and duties.

Advice to Management

Please stop making excuses for the awful pay. You get what you pay for. If you're not paying your people enough, you lose the good ones to the competition, and the bad ones justify their laziness and lack of care by complaining about the pay.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Rack Room SHOES WAS FUN PLACE TO WORK

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Rack Room Shoes part-time

Pros

Good Hours, Great Pay, good advances, made good friends, never any hassle with managers, good time off, great great great

Cons

Breaks were less than 30 minutes

2. Was hell at first, then it was okay, now im just ready to leave

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Concord, NC

I have been working at Rack Room Shoes part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount is great! 40% there and off broadway.

Cons

They are very selfish and don't value their employees. I have to give them a leg and arm to get time off. On holidays they don't pay time and a half. The manager is awful and it's not a fun environment. They hire ppl and then ppl just stop coming to their shifts because everyone hates it.