Rackspace

Best place to work!

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Quite possibly the best place you'd ever want to work! That of course depends on the department you work in, for as great as I have had it with my team, I have heard some less than great things from members of other teams.

The culture is unmatched. You can't beat the Rackspace culture, and for the most part they live up to their core values. The Rackers are really what makes Rackspace a great place to work, and the CEO allows for that organic process to take place. On-site dodgeball tournaments, water slides, company parties, you name it.

Cons

There has been a lot of senior level management hired from outside of the company (Yahoo). These execs do not live by the Rackspace core values of treating everyone likes Friends & Family and providing Full Transparency & Disclosure. Recently a very good friend and probably one of the best Rackers to ever grace the premises was terminated for a first and very minor infraction - a decision made by this leadership team who does not know what it means to be a Racker.

If you work for Rackspace, you will love it. But take things with a grain of salt and don't ever take anything for granted.

Take a long hard look at your senior leaders and stop hiring from outside of the company. you are ruining the culture that defines Rackspace!

504 Other Employee Reviews for Rackspace (View Most Recent)

I get to work with smart people on interesting problems.

Current Employee - Software Developer III in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer III in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

I am able to work with a small group of very talented and smart people. We are able to create things that people use.

Cons

The layers between line-level employees and senior management are filled with a vast layer of goopy middle management that tends to slow things down and is constantly in a state of churn. The consequence of the middle management churn is that decisions carry little to no responsibility for those who made them.

Excellent learning experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

1. Awesome people. Seriously. There are some crazy smart people working here.
    2. Cultural History. There is an extensive and well earned culture built around provided the best support in tech.
    3. Options/Stock grants appears to be getting better than they were 2 or 3 years ago.

Mostly, though, it's the people. I loved the teams that I worked with.

Cons

1. Compensation. The grapevine is full of verifiable stories of techs (regardless of discipline) leaving the company and receiving 50-100% raises, large options/stock grants, large relocation packages, etc.
    2. Ineffective middle management. Everyone has their stories.
    3. Training is barely there to non-existent. What training that does exist isn't effectively managed.
    4. Silos. There are a LOT of silos. Cloud, for example, is often seen as a 'black box' - and feels like a separate company. Each of the support organizations feels as if they are in direct competition with each other.
    5. Less pride/ownership/whatever you want to call it in the work the support teams are doing, leading to mediocre solutions and rework as 'patchy' solutions fail later on.
    6. Work-life balance can be horrifyingly out of whack.
    7. Emphasis on "friends and family" can result in employees' real families feeling neglected.

First, continue to work on compensation packages. They HAVE gotten better over the past two years, but still are not quite where they need to be to be competing with Amazon, IBM and Google for RAX employees.
    Second, re-examine hiring and promotion practices. The Technical Architect track is awesome in keeping great Rackers engaged and on the payroll, however, for every Racker 'saved' by the program, how many others leave to similar positions with other companies? Expand scope, or otherwise come up with a solution to keep the senior people with the company, and hopefully bring some of those lost, back.
    Work-life balance can be -extremely- out of whack. It is not at all uncommon for senior technical resources to work 60-80 hour weeks due to on-call needs.

There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace