Rackspace
www.rackspace.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Has some good, has some bad

San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

ProsFun atmosphere, team bonding events, rapid growth

ConsWhile Rackspace is a fun place to work for most of the employees, it does have some low points just like any company. The sales side has always and is still plagued by a "good old boy" system where middle management tend to hire their drinking buddies and friends. One example of this is when a co-worker of mine had an internal interview with one of the managers and he actually stopped in the middle of it because he could tell the manager wasn't paying attention to any of his answers and "wasn't into the interview". Even though my co-worker had worked there for a couple of years and was qualified the manager already had someone picked that he wanted to hire from outside the company.

Rackspace also has a very strong PR engine, maybe too strong however. There's a point where you drink "too much of your own kool aid" and you pat yourself on the back a little too much. This became apparent when someone I knew applied for a position and came to interview. He was walked around and got to spend time in the work environment and talk to a lot of people. It became apparent to him quickly that the people he spoke to were not on the same level as he was and he knew he would have difficulty working in that environment so when the Rackspace recruiter extended him the offer, he politely turned it down. The recruiter went off on him telling him he was making the biggest mistake of his life and that this was Rackspace and he was a fool to burn this bridge. He simply replied that he guessed it was his mistake to make if he wanted.

Salaries are another thing, they tend to be below average especially when compared to their competitors which is why they lost a lot of good talent over the years to the competition. A lot of people like the thought of working at a place like Rackspace however and will overlook the lower salaries.

Rackspace has enjoyed tremendous growth over the years, however this is a double edged sword. Many of the people there get promoted quickly due to the company preferring to promote from within, which is admirable, but can cause issues when a person gets promoted too quickly. This leads to a huge gap in capabilities between a senior manager at Rackspace vs a senior manager at another company in the industry. It's not uncommon for someone to be promoted 3 times in 2 years. This of course is part of the reason there were two rounds of layoffs at the company (which were not advertised of course) where they weeded out quite a few individuals, although this was mostly on the sales side.

All in all, it's a great place to work for most of the "rank and file" employees such as account managers, sales, marketing coordinators, etc. but it can be a very difficult environment for core developers or data architects to work in. Rackspace is still a great company that has introduced new and cutting edge services and has given back to the community in numerous ways, just keep in mind that every silver cloud has a dark lining.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you really know what is going on in your departments and not just "the big picture", especially when compared to the competition.

A great place for a career if you can make yourself stand out and stick to its core values

Network Security Administrator I (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

Pros: Rackspace likes to maintain it's startup-like culture. Casual dress, free food everywhere, free sodas, fun team outings, etc. But most of all, I would have… Cons: Don't expect to start out with a high salary here. You will have to earn your place at the company for the first couple of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Fanatical 90% of the time

Linux Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Core Values Fanatical SupportĀ® in all we do. Results first, substance over flash. Committed to… Cons: nothing perfect all the time Advice to Senior Management: keep on listening to Rackers Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Rackspace.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!

Rackspace – Why Work for Us?

Rackspace Hosting is the world’s leading specialist in hosting and cloud computing. The San Antonio-based company provides Fanatical Support® to its customers, across a portfolio of IT services, including Managed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rackspace reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rackspace CEO Graham Weston. All reviews posted anonymously by Rackspace employees.