Rackspace

www.rackspace.com
  www.rackspace.com
There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rackspace moves FAST! There is always an opportunity for smart people who want to work hard. I have been able to change jobs as much as I needed to keep growing and learning. We've got an awesome executive team who actually enjoy debating with Rackers about important issues facing our company.

Cons

As we grow fast, certain areas of the business can move slower than they used to. But compared to any other company I've worked for, Rackspace still moves at a million miles per hour.

Keep up the good work!

505 Other Employee Reviews for Rackspace (View Most Recent)

The only place I am okay with spending more time at then at my house with my family.

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Executive in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Executive in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Culture! Benefits! Service! Product! Leaders!

Cons

40 minute commute from my house :(

Keep up the great work!

Not a bad place, but not perfect either..

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I joined Rackspace like many other people by relocating. They have really tapped the local community of talent. The one thing I kept asking in the interview was how much people like their jobs. Overall, everyone said they "loved" their job. Once you start, you see that the culture is what attracts people to the company. Very laid back. The CEO even uses a cube, not an office. A couple of times a month there is a kegger party at work or a wine tasting. Very cool!

Cons

There is a lot of "kool-aid" drinking right as you start. You go through a process to convince you how great the company is. The entire time you really never get a sense of what you will be doing day to day, but (as a systems administrator) once you start the job..you quickly realize why there is so much kool-aid drinking. The job for a systems administrator is really a HELP DESK technician. There are times you will try to complete over 100+ help desk tickets. Oh, and you need to answer the phone too. Meanwhile, there is a carrot to promote you to a dedicated systems administrator. This is something everyone wants to do because the trouble ticket load is so high. They can't hire fast enough because the attrition is so high.

1. Remove the noisy alerts. You know what these alerts are because you believe they are value added...but in reality, they are not.
    2. Quit the whole on boarding process. Seriously, am I in Jonestown?
    3. Really evaluate the pay scale. Just because it's perceived to be "cheaper" to live in Texas doesn't mean you have to undercut the pay. Going backwards in pay can also be psychologically stressful.
    4. Just because someone is a good tech, doesn't mean they are a good manager.
    5. Get rid of the deadwood.
    6. Re-read 5.