There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

This is a close as you can get to a perfect work environment.

Current Employee - Linux Administrator III in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Linux Administrator III in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management, great people friendly and very positive atmosphere.

Cons

Slightly lower pay than industry for a number of years, this is improving.

Advice to Management

Be more quickly proactive in the areas we are understaffed or underpaid.

reviews filtered by

Working at Rackspace

Former Employee - Windows Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Windows Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good friendly people overall. Eduacation chances were good, but have almost disappeared since the texas grant dreid up last year. Free Sodas. Team outings every six months, as long as your boss gets them set up in time, lol. If you enjoy being around a lot of people and can work with background noise then your good. Introverts should not apply.

Cons

they do not give COLA raises, you have to get a promotion in order to get a raise. To get a higher than satisfactory on a 6 month review you need to make a significant dollar add to the bottom line, this was said directly from management. Started seeing political fights happening inside departments.

Advice to Management

keep the old cutlure alive, dont let it disappear. get the COLA raises going, lots of hard working people have left becuase of no raises in over 4 years of employment. First place i worked at that did not give me a raise in the first year.

I love all 4,000+ of my fellow Rackers. If you can get it, it's the place to be!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We don't hire duds. The hiring process just weeds them out. I don't just mean that the people hired can do the job, I mean that the people hired are AWESOME!! I love going to work every single day. You can just feel the positive energy when you walk in the door. You're free to be who you are here: you're free to contribute, agree/disagree, create a project, call up the top dogs (every Racker has the CEO's cell number), throw a party, pogo stick it between the cubes . . . just take care of our customers, and the rest is fun & games. We work hard to support our amazing customers and each other, and we all absolutely love it. If you make your customers happy & treat your fellow Rackers well, this job will absolutely take care of you. VERY flexible, very relaxed, very AWESOME!!

Cons

Tribal knowledge - ya gotta work there to get it, and you need it to do your job. If you need everything clearly roadmapped out for you, this is NOT your gig. You must take initiative & network with colleagues to get things done, and not getting things done is NOT acceptable.

Advice to Management

Nah - they have the Racker Pulse for that.