There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

Overworked but learnt alot!

Former Employee - DC Ops Tech  in  Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)
Former Employee - DC Ops Tech in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Good Training
-Good place to start
-Rapid growth
-Lots of room for progression as a Tech
-Secure job, no redundancies

Cons

-Management dont listen to line-workers
-Constantly coerced into overtime due to company growing fast and difficulty hiring.
-Slightly lower salary than competitors.
-Bad shift rotas
-Sales oversell solutions, way more than customers need, they are too incentivised by commision

-Pay your employees more to reduce churn
-Less middle management
-Dont overwork employees with overtime

473 Other Employee Reviews for Rackspace (View Most Recent)

Starts out fun, then reality sinks in

Current Employee - Support
    Current Employee - Support

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Outtings which are pretty decent but it really depends on your team lead who may or may not put any effort/thought at all into it.
    - Free soda/fruit
    - Some amazing coworkers who are very knowledgable
    - Flexible hours
    - If you can survive you'll gain a ton of valuable technical skills

Cons

Lets start from the beginning. Rackspace will try to brainwash you through "Rookie-O". You'll see many who will genuinely drink the kool aid and think the company is heaven sent. It's hard to describe rookie o other than a week-long celebration of the company/weird team building/core value/strength and weakness finding seminars. They will particularly preach the strength and weakeness part. Some of your fellow new hires will expect almost psychic readings from the founders about how their particular strengths will apply to them in the future. The funny thing is I've never seen anyone use or mention it after Rookie-O.

Next, you're out of rookie-o. I hope you like working at a call center if you're on the support (IT) side of the game. That's pretty much what you're in for. Prepare yourself to be logged into your phones even though many of your co-workers won't be. You're going to be answering phone calls all day. When you're not on the phone (this never happens unless you log yourself out) you will be greeted by a neverending ticket queue. Training will be non-existant unless you work in sales which seems to have endless options. New products will constantly be introduced but don't expect to get training on that either. If you wonder why you aren't trained on anything you'll be told to just be 'fanatical' and it's 'trial by fire' or that's just the way it's always been..aka they don't care enough to set you up for success. Staffing will be constantly too low which will burn many out. Management will claim the yhave a hard time finding candidates. Maybe that's true, but I've also heard frequent talk about underpaid salaries so.

Stop reorganizing everyone every few months. Get some training for rackers. Staff up.

One Fanatical Place to Work!

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent values, a great culture, and an awesome leadership team all demonstrate that Rackspace cares about its employees and its customers. The company promotes ownership from within the company by empowering its Rackers to do the right thing for our customers, and by offering equity grants/options/discounts as a reward for performance.

Cons

Sometimes our senior leadership sends conflicting priorities based on their own incentives, due mostly to a lack of coordination between them. Our "time off" policy has improved in recent years, but is still sub-par. Several teams have a distinct lack of accountability toward completing projects other teams rely on. Finally, there is the occasional bad manager who really forgets to respect our culture. These are all relatively rare occurrences, however.

There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!