Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Linux Systems Engineer III in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Linux Systems Engineer III in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and people. Hiring is tough and culture fit is the first thing we assess with potential candidates. We use the latest technologies and you get to work on very interesting problems. A single person can have a great impact. Our customer-focused fanatical support isn't just something we say -- it's real. The rack also has a very good life/work balance and is very family focused. Having to leave early to pick your kids up from school from time to time is no problem. As long as work gets done, that is!

Cons

The customer is king and sometimes we need to drop everything to help a customer out. The rapidly evolving cloud ecosystem means we sometimes need to quickly change course, which can be frustrating, but it's just a fact of life in the technology biz.

Advice to Management

Keep it going the way it is. Keeping the culture of the company intact as we quickly grow can be tough, but so far it's working.

Other Employee Reviews for Rackspace

Fun company, growing and doing a lot of things right

Former Employee - Ruby Developer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Ruby Developer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time

Pros

A real focus on taking care of employees. They work very hard to find the right fit for people, and aren't jerks about moving people around to keep them interested. Salaries are generally competitive, and the cost of living in San Antonio is low. They even have an internal radio stations, and employees can DJ their own shows!

Cons

Lots of reorganization can become challenging to deal with. You never know quite where your desk is going to be from one day to the next. Rapid growth meant lots of new management coming in, often with wildly differing management styles.

Ironic blend of social consciousness and Orwellian core values

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Chance to learn cool technologies and work with awesome individual contributors. Socially conscious company. Provides ways to incorporate volunteer-ism and fitness into the workday. Nice treatment of veterans. Employees reach out to each other and the community in all sorts of ways.

Cons

Though their heart is in the right place, Rackspace could use some work. Rackspace's infrastructure is sorely lacking. The Rackspace culture is manic, dysfunctional, and reeks of cronyism. When management talks about "friends and family," it means they get to hire their incompetent pals without any checks or balances. I need a "Rackers Anonymous" meeting. The place is filled with people with "manager" or "director" in their title, without any clear indication of what they actually do. The best leaders at Rackspace tend to get their wrists slapped for not lining up with "core values" and tend to get lost in the chaos. The least effective leaders are encouraged to perpetuate the "let's talk about this forever without getting anything done" syndrome. Lots of managers use the core values to stifle innovation, speaking out, and risk-taking. For instance, I've seen more than one person get ousted for speaking up in meetings, for being innovative and proactive, for actually getting work done, or for being a self-starter. Rackspace promotes "group think" - if you don't line up with the ineffectual way they do business, you are accused of not conforming to core values or being a team player. They claim to value fanatical support - meaning, employees should feel empowered to do whatever it takes to do a great job - however, the culture disempowers employees and forces them to shape up (to the core values) or ship out. Rookie-O - a weeklong indoctrination camp disguised as an orientation - gives you a good idea of what's ahead. Lots of red tape for a place that claims to eschew it. Thank god that San Antonio is a warm place because the emperor is definitely naked.

Advice to Management

Revisit the vague and subjective core values. Instead, start valuing experienced and competent technical contributors and leaders over pontificating do-nothings. I've never been at a company where technical contributions are so sorely ignored. And, I've never heard so much jargon in my life (especially in the RED organization). Typical management speak at Rackspace includes phrases like, "circling back," "cadence," "learnings," "thought leaders," "mentoring moments," "leadership sponsor," "reach out," "rockstar," and, of course, "fanatical." It's telling that the highest award at Rackspace is a straitjacket.