There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

All about culture -- and aces it.

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company's commitment to culture is unfathomable without being in the company. Everyone eat lives and breaths the awesomeness that we give to each other. Yeah it's a little funky, but we're fundamentally a service company, and the best way to give service to our customers it to give service to each other.
There is a lot placed on the 'intangible' in Rackspace, but that's what makes it unique, and better.

The business has a good strategy, and it's very open to the employees. I sincerely trust upper management. That's _weird_.

Cons

If you don't fit the culture, you don't stay long. I've had good friends leave because it just wasn't the place for them, or they just didn't click perfectly. Politics happens, and there's fall out because of it, but at the same time the company as a whole moves forward.

475 Other Employee Reviews for Rackspace (View Most Recent)

Fun company, growing and doing a lot of things right

Former Employee - Ruby Developer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Ruby Developer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time

Pros

A real focus on taking care of employees. They work very hard to find the right fit for people, and aren't jerks about moving people around to keep them interested. Salaries are generally competitive, and the cost of living in San Antonio is low. They even have an internal radio stations, and employees can DJ their own shows!

Cons

Lots of reorganization can become challenging to deal with. You never know quite where your desk is going to be from one day to the next. Rapid growth meant lots of new management coming in, often with wildly differing management styles.

Ironic blend of social consciousness and Orwellian core values

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Chance to learn cool technologies and work with awesome individual contributors. Socially conscious company. Provides ways to incorporate volunteer-ism and fitness into the workday. Nice treatment of veterans. Employees reach out to each other and the community in all sorts of ways.

Cons

Though their heart is in the right place, Rackspace could use some work. Rackspace's infrastructure is sorely lacking. The Rackspace culture is manic, dysfunctional, and reeks of cronyism. When management talks about "friends and family," it means they get to hire their incompetent pals without any checks or balances. I need a "Rackers Anonymous" meeting. The place is filled with people with "manager" or "director" in their title, without any clear indication of what they actually do. The best leaders at Rackspace tend to get their wrists slapped for not lining up with "core values" and tend to get lost in the chaos. The least effective leaders are encouraged to perpetuate the "let's talk about this forever without getting anything done" syndrome. Lots of managers use the core values to stifle innovation, speaking out, and risk-taking. For instance, I've seen more than one person get ousted for speaking up in meetings, for being innovative and proactive, for actually getting work done, or for being a self-starter. Rackspace promotes "group think" - if you don't line up with the ineffectual way they do business, you are accused of not conforming to core values or being a team player. They claim to value fanatical support - meaning, employees should feel empowered to do whatever it takes to do a great job - however, the culture disempowers employees and forces them to shape up (to the core values) or ship out. Rookie-O - a weeklong indoctrination camp disguised as an orientation - gives you a good idea of what's ahead. Lots of red tape for a place that claims to eschew it. Thank god that San Antonio is a warm place because the emperor is definitely naked.

Revisit the vague and subjective core values. Instead, start valuing experienced and competent technical contributors and leaders over pontificating do-nothings. I've never been at a company where technical contributions are so sorely ignored. And, I've never heard so much jargon in my life (especially in the RED organization). Typical management speak at Rackspace includes phrases like, "circling back," "cadence," "learnings," "thought leaders," "mentoring moments," "leadership sponsor," "reach out," "rockstar," and, of course, "fanatical." It's telling that the highest award at Rackspace is a straitjacket.

There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!