There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

Great place to work

Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits (besides Health, dental, vision etc)... A "get the job done" attitude; family orientated. Instead of building a new campus, they bought a MALL... and it has a slide... Rackers focus on customers and don't really care about anything else. It's all about the customer.

Cons

It is ALL about the customer. Internal IT is a hated place to work. All of the other Rackers can do your job better. If you don't make $$$ for Rackspace, your views and opinions on cost cutting and efficiencies are ignored.

There is working FOR Rackspace, and then there is working AT Rackspace. There shouldn't be a difference.

reviews filtered by

It's just a paycheck

Current Employee - Programmer
    Current Employee - Programmer

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get to wear shorts at work. Rackspace seems to be doing well. Bonuses are good.

Cons

Unrealistic deadlines from clueless management. Unworthy promotions. Tired of seeing the same mistakes again and again. Haven't seen much improvement in four years.

Promote the good people and fire the bad.

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Linux Systems Engineer III in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Engineer III in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture and people. Hiring is tough and culture fit is the first thing we assess with potential candidates. We use the latest technologies and you get to work on very interesting problems. A single person can have a great impact. Our customer-focused fanatical support isn't just something we say -- it's real.

The rack also has a very good life/work balance and is very family focused. Having to leave early to pick your kids up from school from time to time is no problem. As long as work gets done, that is!

Cons

The customer is king and sometimes we need to drop everything to help a customer out. The rapidly evolving cloud ecosystem means we sometimes need to quickly change course, which can be frustrating, but it's just a fact of life in the technology biz.

Keep it going the way it is. Keeping the culture of the company intact as we quickly grow can be tough, but so far it's working.

There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace