Rackspace

www.rackspace.com
  www.rackspace.com
There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

Great culture and folks to work with but a little lower-end on average pay scales.

Current Employee - Desktop Technician III in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Desktop Technician III in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun people and a relaxed culture

Cons

Sometimes typical corporate decisions and the tendency to underpay for skilled people.

Your people are your strongest resource, so treat them well enough to stay...you can't take culture to the grocery store and buy food with it.

504 Other Employee Reviews for Rackspace (View Most Recent)

Heavily political, problems ignored or suppressed.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

After thinking several long hours about this and discussing with my wife on how our life quality after work ends, I cannot think of a single Pro to this position. In 20 years in the field it's the most dissatisfied I've ever been. The pro of health insurance had many hidden gotchas such as normal vaccines can only be given by the doctor they recommend, but if that doesn't doesn't carry it in the office you need to find a new doctor. Internal interviews are done based on how well you know the team doing the interviews. Heavy politics involved. Your direct manager may be awesome and listen to feedback but their power is very very limited to effect any change.

Cons

The blind protection of an "open" culture. Rampant theft in the work space from personal electronics to your lunch. There are no available options to secure your equipment at your desk outside of cables locks that they audit you on, and zero protection on the community fridges. The company refuses to install cameras to assist people in securing their valuables. Cars have been stolen from the parking lot, employees on a weekly basis or more hit-and-run other employee cars however the building has limited external security and have been of no help in resolving my own or any of my colleges' damages or finding the person responsible.

Roles such as Windows L1/L2/etc. These are considered new jobs and not a natural progression. So you have two options, you can take a "promotion" from L2 to L3 for a 6-8% raise and commit to not leaving that position for 12 months, or you can give up the raise and keep looking elsewhere while they continue to assign you the higher end work at the same lower end pay after delaying any moves from your position 90-120 days. Totally underhanded abuse of employee trust and a real hit to moral.

No only has no effort been done to install cameras to catch the problem causers but it's been made very clear that installing security in the building would be a "violation" of the culture they are promoting which in this case is a free-for-all take what looks nice to you mentality.

As stated before, I've been in this field 20 years and have gone out of my way to warn friends and past colleagues not to work here, I'd be too afraid of ruining a friendship over giving a false recommendation and have them move their family for the lousy $3k bonus I'd get. Money isn't worth a friendship. I hope the management take that to heart and quit offering bribes to bring people here and start fixing the real problems.

Of the real problems? Nobody besides lower management listens to the issues, and of those people after years of being here it's very clear from first hand experience they have very limited power to enact any change.

Work being done into the new business lines is being pushed out to support however training is lacking or non-existent. This is the biggest setup for failure in the future.

Ivy towers. Step down from them and spend some real time with the people who interact with the customers. I honestly cannot express with words how out of touch most of management is with the real issues at hand. I've had to field 5 calls from the same angry customer and when I express the frustration I'm the bad guy. Tell me why I should even care after this kind of treatment.

I'm counting the days to when i can leave.

Software Developer III

Current Employee - Software Developer III in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer III in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture is number one. Rackspace selects people who are passionate and want to do good. Community involvement is plenty. Work life balance is very good. Learning opportunities are abundant and employees are encouraged to grow.

Cons

Cross-teams project to launch a certain release is often badly managed. No one understands the overall technical picture. No one was put responsible. Thus when there's an issue, it took a long time to finally identify the problem.

Less re-active. Less churn to allow developers to be subject matter experts on something, before moving them around to other projects.

There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace