There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

We're a scrappy bunch, and I'd walk from AMZN, MSFT, and GOOG.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Rackspace has some of the best, brightest, and most inventive in the industry, and has for years. I wish I had this opportunity earlier in my tech career. I learned more in my first year at Rackspace than I had in the five years prior to my joining (in 2005). I've learned more in the past few years than I ever had the opportunity to anywhere else. You will learn how to do whatever makes you happy on the company's dime if you are a performer here. This is a great place to grow and transform your career. You get what you give. A lot of complainers here are not the giving type.

Cons

There is an occasional battle of wit and/or ego to get things done that didn't exist when the company was smaller and we knew each other by first names. This has led to lowered expectations across the support floor, and ultimately the customers are paying for it. I really think everyone ought to wake up and remember who pays our paychecks. Low bonus payout? Quit slacking so hard and throwing excuses in the way of results! Stop building processes that slow things for the sake of slowing things! Onboarding needs a serious money injection.

Advice to Management

I've always loved listening to Lanham. He is an inspirational speaker. I think that most of his realizations around industry movement are about 6-12 months too late. I really hope he can become a more agile executor so that Rackspace can ultimately come out on top.

Other Employee Reviews for Rackspace

A Hit it and Quit it kind of place

Former Employee - Web Scale Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Web Scale Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Put your blinders on, drink some red koolaid and sit down in a large, open air mall and get to work where you can't hear yourself think. When they have their big events in the main part of the mall, 15 feet from your desk you will want for a more productive environment. First year folks often think its the greatest place in the world and honestly for the first year it kinda is. I have a lot of good memories but you have to brain wash yourself and play the game. This is a hit it and quit it kind of place that does not lend itself to any sort of maturity or long term professional growth. They can launch or relaunch most anyone's career in technology, get you certified and help you build a few skills but the divisive personal agendas are pretty bad and in the end that is what will kill your future here. You can make a lot of huge professional mistakes here and get away with it as long as you are not on one of the after hours teams. There are a lot of people in the trenches that are truly smart but hamstrung.

Cons

The "Core Values" by which the company operates are on the walls of the basement but are not practices and often used as scape goats for bad decisions resulting in tremendous amounts of rework. Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments. They have a glorious reputation of promoting people well beyond their capabilities and those that can actually lead are forsaken to give way to pretty people that have no business being in business. HR seems to support and endorse bad managers and team leads over the people actually doing the work. They cycle in Sr. Managers that continue to repeat the same mistakes over and over again and cause more rework for the company than anywhere else I've ever been in my 18 years of technology. Honestly, I can't see how they are still in business. Most of the managers, Sr. Managers and VPs are notorious for stabbing their own people in the back. They are quick to insult you in front of your entire team and take your dignity then fire you to make a point and set a standard of fear based management. If you speak out against the direction of your management chain or call their actions into question you will eventually be forced out. They don't often fire people, they just turn you into a complete failure. Its like a bad sorority. After being deliberately walked on and thwarted more than 3 times to get to another part of the business where I could be successful I gave up and had to move on. San Antonio is also one of the worst cities in the world to live in. The cost of living is freakishly low for a reason and there are only a few places in the entire city worth working for in tech so if you work for Rackspace, when you are done with them you will likely have to relocate out of the area to find another decent job at a fair market wage. On average the pay is $20k-$30k less than anywhere else in the state much less the country. Rackspace's relocation assistance and sign-on process is also second class by comparison to most other opportunities in high tech. Built on lies, for a company that is supposed to be progressive and performance based they seem to honor tenure over skill and constantly promote people to the point of failure. I am grateful for my time there but I would not ever work here again. Never again and would highly advise anyone considering it to think twice before seriously considering it.

Advice to Management

Learn how to run your own business. Stop chasing your competition and actually improve your own science to be competitive. If you truly care about the business, turn your attention to the actual performance of your department heads and follow their results not their words. The metrics don't lie and turning the business on its head every 6 months is costing you. You need challengers in SLT not just visionaries. You are doing it wrong.

A Political Beast of a Company

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The "Fanatical Support" people really do care. The Senior Leadership Team is very nice and approachable. The success metrics in sales and marketing are very clear cut.

Cons

The people who do the work are not the ones who get ahead. Sometimes, you will see people with completely zero experience in their field actually managing people, which can be flat out scary. Competency will not necessarily get you support among your peers.

Advice to Management

Loyalty to the company does not equal competency or merit. Stop hiring people with little to no experience at their jobs.