There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

I was an intern for the supply chain department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The environment is great. You are treated as equals, and everyone has high expectations for what you can contribute to the company. Everyone is amazing, and there is never a boring day. We had the chance to get to know the department heads personally.

The office is filled with highly intelligent people. You have the chance to learn something from just holding a conversation with them.

Cons

I did not like the location, but that is personal preference.

481 Other Employee Reviews for Rackspace (View Most Recent)

Rackspace core values only on banners

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart people to work with

Cons

Dictatorial Management. Sweat shop. No recognition of hard work

Please practice core values and listen to the ground level employees. Go back 5 yrs in terms of practicing core values and genuinely caring for employees and not just power

Poor Management

Current Employee - ServiceNow Developer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - ServiceNow Developer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere among the workers seems positive at first. After awhile, you start to see the overwhelming pressure they are under and the long hours they're working. I came in as a contractor (to hire). I expected I would have to work very hard to prove myself, but was shocked when I saw what the FTE employee's had to do just to stay employed. I enjoyed the few chances I got to play foosball, and go down the slide or play street fighter on the arcade machine. Also the food trucks and events like "Racktoberfest" were pretty neat. Halloween was great, costume contests, you can see the brilliant creativity come out from the very intelligent and talented staff.

Cons

I was a developer on the * Team. The first week I was there my manager sat me down and told me that she was in the process of firing the senior developer on our team and that I needed to step up to meet his duties. I informed her that I would need at least a month to get up to speed and be able to take on some of his roles. 2 weeks went by, and I was sat down again, this time with the manager and one of the FTE employees on the team where the manager threatened to fire us both if we didn't start displaying SME like behavior. It was at that point I began looking for another job. After the first month, a girl from another team transferred to ours. After two weeks of working for our manager, she ended up going right back to her previous job. She was unable to voice any of her concerns because it's well known that if you cross the * manager, you'll quickly find yourself filling out unemployment paperwork. I was expected to work at least 10 hours a day, and when I did I was only supposed to bill 8 hours (as I was a contractor). Another contractor pulled me aside one day after the manager had threatened to fire someone else on our team right in front of everyone and told me that that was just what the manager does to keep you motivated. She knows that will make you work harder, and get more done. After two months of my time spent there, I got a job offer with less pay and was more than happy to take it. I feel so sorry for the staff that report to that manager, and I'm hoping that this review will help prevent anyone from making the mistake of moving their family across the country only to end up working for one of the worst people I've ever met in my entire professional career.

My hope is that human resources will see the amount of turn over in the * team and realize the issue is not the staff, it is the management style of the manager. She clearly suffers from a bi-polar disorder and uses fear and negative reinforcement as her way of managing the team. They are under incredible amounts of stress to keep their job, and make sure she is happy. They laugh at her jokes the same way people laugh in SNL skits about Kim Jung Un. Her threats and her bully tactics will always work because San Antonio doesn't have much else to offer as far as technology jobs go. I was fortunate and was easily able to move away due to some very lucrative investments I had made. I fear the worst for that team, and truly hope that manager either gets promoted away from it, or terminated and replaced with someone who understands cloud technology and the best practices around developing it. That manager has no idea how any of that works, and would be the first to tell you that. Then turn right around and threaten to fire you because you aren't doing it fast enough. The more turn-over you experience as a result of this manager, the quicker Rackspace will go on the list of places tech grads will avoid. The internet moves very fast, you need to do your best to keep up, and you certainly are not in this situation.

Good luck.

There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!