Rackspace

There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

7 years of watching this place grow

Current Employee - Storage in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Storage in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can re-create yourself here. The opportunities to move forward with your career in really in your own hands.

Cons

We are (in some areas) slowly becoming that big company. Not all change is good.

Remember pre 8-8-8!!!

496 Other Employee Reviews for Rackspace (View Most Recent)

Great company, but slowly getting to be like the others

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very enthusiastic atmosphere. The employees at Rackspace really do work very hard at trying to keep the culture peppy and enjoyable to be around. Fantastic opportunity for advancement, but slowing down as the company grows.

Cons

Highly inconsistent leadership quality and leadership style. Like many growing companies, Rackspace is adjusting to a clash between the more tenured employees and newer groups of Rackers.

I would rather see the company slow its headcount growth down, and automate more systems to gain efficiency rather than size.

The culture is gone

Former Employee - Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Rackspace tries to implement the "old" culture by bringing in slides and things that they believe will make it look like it's a fun environment, when in reality it isn't. They do have a coffee shop that is really good though...

Cons

Management no longer cares about their employees, and is actively trying to slim down the workforce through attrition, which was told to me by HR. They no longer care about keeping good talent but would rather have them leave and bring in people they can pay less for. If you're looking to change position, you should look outside the company as the entire company is on a hiring freeze as was also told to me by HR. You are no longer rewarded for bringing up ideas or having a voice, now you are yelled at or berated by your manager, and when you speak up HR takes the side of management even though you have a recording of your manager yelling at you. I actually had to start recording my one on one's to have proof that the harassment was happening, and still HR didn't care.

Actually care about your employees and their concerns, don't just dismiss them. Don't yell or berate them, especially in front of other employees which my manager did several times, and not even to myself. Also, they need to read up on rules and regulations about hiring. Just because a woman can get pregnant or wants to have a baby is NOT a good reason to dismiss her application for hiring onto the team.

I hope Graham can turn things around and fix a lot of these issues as I have faith in him, he's a good person.

There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace