There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

It's not what you know, it's who you know

Current Employee - Software Quality Engineer  in  San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Software Quality Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Culture is laid back. T-shirt, shorts, flip flops are ok
-Plenty of opportunities to learn
-Peers are open to mentoring you
-Great benefits and company activities
-Pay is based on prior experience

Cons

-No clear direction from upper management, which makes projects very stressful and deadlines/goals are hazy
-Non-managerial employees: Plenty of times you find yourself trying to determine what you should be working on and leading projects instead of getting managerial input
-No matter how much work you do, make sure you know and inter-mingle with others outside of your team. Otherwise, your work will go unnoticed

Establish more processes and standards and ensure that these are carried out. Many times there are no standards at all, and if there are, no one promotes them to be followed

481 Other Employee Reviews for Rackspace (View Most Recent)

Great place to be, but not a cake walk

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rackspace is a great place to be. Its a growing company that really believes in their CORE values. I've never learned so much, from so many brilliant people, in such little time. There are great people everywhere.

My management team has also looked out for my best interest, and they have been very vocal in fighting for change when times are tough. There is great flexibility so long as you are performing. The work is challenging and very interesting.

I leave every day feeling like I helped customers, and cannot wait to get back in the morning. The company is dedicated to delivering positive outcomes for customers. There are great spiffs and benefits on the sales side. They are growing quickly, and if you want something, are vocal about it, you can get it. Politics are definitely present, but so long as you do what is best for the customers, the Rackers around you, and the company, its not a problem.

If you are starting out and hungry, there is not a better place to be.

The new leadership team is phenomenal, they are folks who fit our culture, but also understand how to run a billion dollar company.

I've never been happier, and I am convinced I will never have better managers than I have now in my entire career.

Cons

You have to really manage your brand effectively to continue to move up the ranks and get better pay and position, ON TOP of performing at a high level. I see a lot of reviews calling this "the good ol' boy mentality", those are the folks who have managed their own brand poorly. If you are the type that fights for what you want, and are not afraid to be aggressive, this is a great place.

Be warned hitting quota is no joke here. You have to be top of your game and willing to sacrifice work/life to succeed during periods of time. Hitting your number will NEVER be easy here, but the rewards are great when you do.

There is a plethora of middle management, you have to carefully select who you want to work for because if you get a bad manager, you are SOL.

Be warned, the internal systems and processes ARE TERRIBLE. This inhibits a lot of advancement and efficiency. You have to learn to live with broken systems and processes and be "charming" enough to nudge the people responsible along to approve what you need.

If you really want to move up the ranks, be prepared to commute or move to San Antonio where HQ is.

For the love of GOD, please make things more simple internally around our systems and processes.

The best place I have ever worked.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

IT professions struggle in smaller shops to progress to the next level. You have to wait for someone to leave to move up and exposure to new Tech/learning is sometimes slow. Not at Rackspace. The company has numerous IT related positions with almost limitless opportunity. Many Rackers enter the company as Account Managers, Windows Systems Administrators or Linux Systems Administrators, but those folks are often afforded opportunities commensurate with their contributions and talent. Rackers have moved on to become Engineers and Leaders in different departments based on their passion and drive. If you want to move on to Virtualization, Cloud, SharePoint, Exchange, Storage, DBA, Development, Automation...it goes on and on, you can do it if you learn and collaborate well. Techs grow faster at Rackspace given their exposure to a wide array of technologies. It truly is amazing to see so many folks grow so fast and to love the place they work.

Cons

Pay increases can be slow, but the current leadership seems to be fixing that. Getting in Rackspace can be tough, but once you are in, the world is your oyster. The more you put in the more you get back.

Keep the Whack in the Rack.

There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!