There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

Good place to work and always challenging

Current Employee - Windows Support Systems Engineer  in  San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Windows Support Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very challenging work, ability to work on many different technologies, and the people that you work with are extremely talented.

Cons

Some of the culture has left, the work / life balance can be difficult to attain consistently for some positions, and the pay tends to track below averages.

Better benefits, higher pay, and look toward additional satellite offices or remote work.

480 Other Employee Reviews for Rackspace (View Most Recent)

Immature and getting worse

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager III  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager III in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance. Positive attempts at promoting good atmosphere overall.
    Good people generally.

Cons

Company seems to think drink stations and swag are substitutes for livelihood, unless you're an exec.
    Too much like a startup, yet too big to be thinking like one.
    Expertise runs last place to charisma and the buddy system .
    Cultural aversion to accountability and advancement.
    Constructive criticism is viewed as naysaying.
    Organization is too vertical. A manager can be seen for every 4-5 reports. It's easy to watch crappy mid and Sr level management pretend they actually have to do anything.
    They keep an insurance rep for their plan in the building. They say it's for better communication, but the benefits people just seem to be well 'lobbied' by the rep. No conflict of interest there.
    Too many managers in critical areas that don't have the experience or a clue how to manage the group they're responsible for as they have no expertise in such an area in the first place. Placed there by good olé boys club.
    Kool aid is the opium to suppress the company's internal problems and risks and discourages people from caring about a company they are passionate about.

Stop the ra - ra mentality with everything that happens there. Own up to what works and what doesn't and quit deluding yourselves and rackers from the reality. Stop the chaotic decision making and get into the modern era with information from data. And no I don't mean dumb dashboards and spreadsheets. Let the people who know how to do those things at an advanced level raise the bar so we can know what things we can do differently or better and change our company around.

Great when I started, but now it is horrible

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart co workers
    Great Friends
    My pay is good because I had a rare manager who saw the good work I am doing.

Cons

managers have a buddy system and protect each other. In my 7 years there, I have seen it since day 1. We are trying to compete against the major players with openstack instead of doing what we do best, providing a managed service.

You need to see a trend that it is about who you know, not what you know in order to get promoted. A lot of high end techs are seeing this trend and are looking for other jobs.

There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!