Rackspace

www.rackspace.com

Heading Down A Bad Path

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsFellow Rackers. For the most part, I've gotten along quite nicely with coworkers and they treat each other pretty well.
Benefits are relatively good. 401k match. San Antonio's HQ is sprawling but has some good comforts like food trucks, massage chairs, etc..
Lots of other opportunities within the company.

ConsManagement. Not sure where to even start.

- Senior Management is addicted to reorganization. Any given organization in the company will be reorganized in 2 years or less, meaning that there are typically multiple simultaneous reorganizations happening at once. No real explanation of why its happening, and they never result in improved efficiency. Of course, during the constant reorganizations, confusion abounds for all other teams in the organization.

- For years, Rackers have complained about products getting rolled out without prior training for the support floor. While espousing "Rackers" are the product, those very Rackers that are to be marketed as well-trained specialists are in fact poorly trained, and have to compete with their peers for access to training that is offered. While Rackspace has exploded in size, the quantity of useful training has stayed level, or has even been reduced. Product teams have little to no contact with the Support floor which is tasked with assisting customers with those very products. I've been told to "just figure it out".

- Mid-level management is massive. As others have pointed out, for every 2-3 non-manager Rackers, there is 1 manager. This level of management does not seem to be empowered to cause change or improvements. They do, however act as a buffer so that upper-management does not have to deal with the outcomes of their poor decisions that support-rackers deal with on a daily basis.

- As if out of a scene from Office Space, manager changes for some teams occur almost monthly with no expectation that any will stick around, making it confusing who to even report to. Each time, a new direction, a new style of management, new requirements, new demands passed through from upper management, and no one in upper management thinks that is a problem. Worse yet, it seems that some managers for front-line support are straight from business school and have little technical understanding of what their subordinates are tasked with doing. "I have faith you'll figure it out" is not a management technique. It's neglect.

- Ironically, while management remains 100% staffed in the company, and is allowed to move around quite freely, the support rackers who *ARE* the "Managed" Support that customers interact with daily (the "product" that we're actually selling), are woefully understaffed and underpaid. Employee churn has rapidly increased. As the support ranks get depleted, upper-management has refused to hire replacements for fear of harming quarterly results. Experienced employees are heading to greener pastures with proper leadership and support. While managers move between teams fluidly, non-management rackers must wait 6+ months to move to a new team. So while there are opportunities to move, good luck making it happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop blaming plummeting Racker morale on the stock price.
Stop blaming mid-level managers for not meeting expectations even though you prevent them from hiring new staff to backfill churned employees.
Stop blaming Rackers for not buying in to the latest-and-greatest 6-month plan when you yourselves have no confidence in executing it.
Stop selling products that the support floor hasn't ever been trained to assist customers with (or better yet, get the product teams to work WITH support for once).

It has been a unique experience.

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Fun place to work. Flexible. Cons: As the company grows it loses its culture,family feel. Advice to Senior Management: Don't forget what you did to get here and the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Awesome place to grow your career-Culture is a plus

Marketing Strategy Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: The culture is what keeps me here-it's one of a kind The people and friendships I have made here are lifelong The perks you get for being… Cons: So many changes... You need to get used to changes, if you need stability… Advice to Senior Management: too top down heavy-hire the right people and promote those that have… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Rackspace.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!