Heading Down A Bad Path

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fellow Rackers. For the most part, I've gotten along quite nicely with coworkers and they treat each other pretty well.
Benefits are relatively good. 401k match. San Antonio's HQ is sprawling but has some good comforts like food trucks, massage chairs, etc..
Lots of other opportunities within the company.

Cons

Management. Not sure where to even start.

- Senior Management is addicted to reorganization. Any given organization in the company will be reorganized in 2 years or less, meaning that there are typically multiple simultaneous reorganizations happening at once. No real explanation of why its happening, and they never result in improved efficiency. Of course, during the constant reorganizations, confusion abounds for all other teams in the organization.

- For years, Rackers have complained about products getting rolled out without prior training for the support floor. While espousing "Rackers" are the product, those very Rackers that are to be marketed as well-trained specialists are in fact poorly trained, and have to compete with their peers for access to training that is offered. While Rackspace has exploded in size, the quantity of useful training has stayed level, or has even been reduced. Product teams have little to no contact with the Support floor which is tasked with assisting customers with those very products. I've been told to "just figure it out".

- Mid-level management is massive. As others have pointed out, for every 2-3 non-manager Rackers, there is 1 manager. This level of management does not seem to be empowered to cause change or improvements. They do, however act as a buffer so that upper-management does not have to deal with the outcomes of their poor decisions that support-rackers deal with on a daily basis.

- As if out of a scene from Office Space, manager changes for some teams occur almost monthly with no expectation that any will stick around, making it confusing who to even report to. Each time, a new direction, a new style of management, new requirements, new demands passed through from upper management, and no one in upper management thinks that is a problem. Worse yet, it seems that some managers for front-line support are straight from business school and have little technical understanding of what their subordinates are tasked with doing. "I have faith you'll figure it out" is not a management technique. It's neglect.

- Ironically, while management remains 100% staffed in the company, and is allowed to move around quite freely, the support rackers who *ARE* the "Managed" Support that customers interact with daily (the "product" that we're actually selling), are woefully understaffed and underpaid. Employee churn has rapidly increased. As the support ranks get depleted, upper-management has refused to hire replacements for fear of harming quarterly results. Experienced employees are heading to greener pastures with proper leadership and support. While managers move between teams fluidly, non-management rackers must wait 6+ months to move to a new team. So while there are opportunities to move, good luck making it happen.

Advice to Management

Stop blaming plummeting Racker morale on the stock price.
Stop blaming mid-level managers for not meeting expectations even though you prevent them from hiring new staff to backfill churned employees.
Stop blaming Rackers for not buying in to the latest-and-greatest 6-month plan when you yourselves have no confidence in executing it.
Stop selling products that the support floor hasn't ever been trained to assist customers with (or better yet, get the product teams to work WITH support for once).

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to learn and grow, top notch training programs, exceptional benefits, but only average in salary offering.

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have almost exclusively glowing praise for working at Rackspace.
    Training - There's a "Rackspace University" training program which will help to get you certified in a variety of IT certifications. All certifications are reimbursed. Training materials are also reimbursed. I obtained a RHCE, CCNA and Security+. Management lets you pursue what training you desire to take.
    Benefits - Humana, flex card, HSA, dental, vision, a rather generous 6% matched 1-to-1 401k plan, stock purchase, free physical therapy on site if at Texas locations. Quarterly profit sharing bonus.
    Real management - There's a lot less management BS, Rackspace's hiring process tends to pick top-notch people and there's less pointy haired bosses and a lot more constructive management. I felt engaged in what I was doing and motivated to do more. I've never worked at a company where I felt so actively involved and satisfied with my work.
    Name Recognition - Having worked for Rackspace is a bright shiny gold star on your resume.

Cons

The primary con was the salary offering, which is average at best. I would still be at Rackspace if I hadn't received an offer that Rackspace could not compete with. I wasn't even job hunting, they found me.
    The secondary con is based upon the primary con, there's enough attrition happening because of better salary offers elsewhere, it's difficult to maintain teams with high levels of training and sometimes I would be doing the workload of several employees.

2. Culture is great

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance. They're trying to build out the benefits package and it's getting better and better all the time.

Cons

Salary isn't always competitive with similar positions at other employers. It can also be difficult to move to another business unit and easy to become pigeonholed.

Advice to Management

Amazing culture isn't always a great replacement for salaries