Radford University

There are newer employer reviews for Radford University

Excellent student jobs

Current Employee - Assistant Trip Leader in Radford, VA
Current Employee - Assistant Trip Leader in Radford, VA

I have been working at Radford University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have students jobs for just about every talent and hobby.
You learn a lot of stuff that future employers love to see like leadership and teamwork.
many of the soft skills I've learned employers like to see.

Cons

Where I work the pay is minimal.
Sometimes the job can cut into studying time.

can we get a bigger budget please?

24 Other Employee Reviews for Radford University (View Most Recent)

Wonderful experience with great people!

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Radford, VA
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Radford, VA

I worked at Radford University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People
    Opportunities
    Interactions
    Networking
    An open door atmosphere with management

Cons

From my personal experience I have no cons the workplace was an awesome environment for me to learn and grow as a student and person.

My direct management were all fantastic. I LOVED working with them and wish I had people like them at every job.

Love my job here!

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Radford, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Radford, VA

I have been working at Radford University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, I love my job at Radford University. The emphasis is definitely on teaching and education - which I enjoy as an educator. A high percentage of the students here are first generation college students. This can be a limiting factor in the type of work you can get done, but it really helps me feel like I am contributing to society and individual students' lives in a profound way. Also, the loyalty that Radford alums feel towards their alma mater is very impressive. I constantly do projects with my students that come from alums who want to give back and help other Radford students get some real life experience.

There are enough resources to get some research done without too much difficulty, but the publish or perish mentality is not strong here. That ends up giving you the ability to pursue topics you are really interested in and make intellectual contributions rather then selling out and doing research that will get published even though you don't really care about it.

The area is amazing. If you want to have kids or be in the outdoors - this is the place to be. The weather here is amazing. The work-life balance is good as well, you definitely work hard, but you definitely have time to get out and enjoy the things this area has to offer as well without stressing out too much about whether or not your next project will get funding or be published in a high impact journal.

Cons

It is definitely a smaller school. If you want to be a big shot you won't like it. You definitely have to work hard, but it is very rewarding. The administration keeps trying to get more grant funding (which is a laudable goal), but the infrastructure is really just not in place to support it. Although, there have been some big pushes to update facilities and other things to help with that.

Don't try to make Radford something it isn't (i.e., push research initiatives when the infrastructure isn't in place to support them).

There are newer employer reviews for Radford University