Radiant Zemax

There are newer employer reviews for Radiant Zemax

Great place to work

Current Employee - Engineer in Redmond, WA
Current Employee - Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Radiant Zemax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reason for working here would be the challenges you face. Like many small companies, you are asked to wear many different hats. You will grow quickly if you jump at these opportunities. Also, the people here are smart and fun to work with.

Cons

Slightly lower than standard wage. It is in the farthest corner of Redmond. It can be quite a commute no matter where you live.

Please be fair with wages.

13 Other Employee Reviews for Radiant Zemax (View Most Recent)

Worthwhile experience. Given a great work environment

Current Employee - Calibration Technician in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Calibration Technician in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Radiant Zemax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Worked alone for the most part.

Cons

Fixed lunch time of 30 minutes

Management was skilled and versed in motivating a medium size crew to meet production needs. Mark Woods has a handle on his people.

Not worth your time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Radiant Zemax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are, for the most part, bright and talented people. I enjoyed getting to know almost everyone at the company.

Cons

There are a number of significant problems. To start, this was a very uncomfortable place to work. It was clear initially that there's no respect or real communication between the top managers and the rest of the company. There are of course people who will point out problems to HR and their managers, but these people are either lied to or ignored and end up leaving the company due to sheer frustration. I found that I needed to adopt an indifferent mindset during my time there to avoid sharing in this frustration, but again, that was very uncomfortable. Lots of talent has been lost.

All tasks were given with explicit instructions that they were top priority, but there was no ownership and little accountability for these tasks. Lots of work that was labeled "Top Priority" simply didn't get done because it wasn't assigned in a straightforward manner, there was no follow up, or tasks were assigned to people who do not have the necessary skills. This became a serious problem, and our customers noticed.

The CEO's stated goal is to sell the company in the next couple years. Many employees are concerned about the long term stability of the company, and while I didn't feel this was a concern, the CEO's short term mindset has filtered down through the rest of the company. This is a company without a plan (hence everything being top priority). Products are shipped to customers with the short term goal of selling a product, and not the long term consideration of whether or not the product worked, or would continue to work a year later. We shipped hardware and software to customers that didn't work, and no one seemed to care about this even if they acknowledged it. Our customers definitely noticed this.

This company is stagnant. They will not fail due to the problems listed above, but they aren't going anywhere either. They will likely continue to putter along much as they have thus far, and probably achieve some sporadic success. This won't matter to you, however. Your pay will be below average (especially given the cost of living in Redmond, it is surprisingly low), unless you're a manager. You will have to deal with the problems listed above, and your career will feel as stagnant as the company.

If you are a skilled scientist, engineer, salesman, accountant, programmer, manager, or any other professional, there is no reason to work here. You will succeed much more elsewhere.

It is very apparent that you do not understand the company that you are running. You did not take the time to understand either the hardware or software sides of the business, and neither is run efficiently at this point.

You do not respect your employees, and they know it. You provide low salaries and benefits and expect people to be satisfied, to have a "Passion for Winning". You treat your people as though they are stupid, like they are children. Your employees are primarily engineers, scientists, and programmers. They're a quiet, introverted, and very intelligent group, and they are not happy. The more extroverted and assertive types won't question you either, they need a salary and this is a bad economy.

You can't make people respect you, you have to respect them first. Provide a competitive salary and benefits package, and provide good bonuses to people. We had our best year in 2012 and everyone received standard bonuses. That does not send a good message. Give these people a reason to go above and beyond for you, you have the talent and are not utilizing it. Otherwise, people will continue to leave. Many can make a lot more money elsewhere, and they know it.

There are newer employer reviews for Radiant Zemax