RadioShack

www.radioshack.com
  www.radioshack.com
There are newer employer reviews for RadioShack

No faith in the products provided

Former Employee - Manager In Training in Sacramento, CA
Former Employee - Manager In Training in Sacramento, CA

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ability to provide insight to customers in an intimate environment.

Cons

products management people environment store locations

stock better products your employees can believe in!

1504 Other Employee Reviews for RadioShack (View Most Recent)

Everything changes..

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at RadioShack full-time

Pros

Room for advancement, decent pay, high expectations, goes from fast paced to slow depending on the town and local economy, if you're a part time sales associate, it allows you to work part time and go to school, good commision (used to be way better) and decent incintives.

Cons

I have now been a Radioshack Manager for a total of 8 months, going on 9. I started out as a part time sales associate and I loved it, so I quit my previous management job and started as a full time SA. After about a month, I was promoted to ASM then put into my own store two hours from my home town as a Store Manager. As a young adult, I felt proud to be given this position so quickly. But the store they put me into was a total mess. The employees were trained as clerks, they did not know what they were doing or how to treat customers or use half the systems. I work an upwards of 60-75 hours a week, most of the time open to close, sometimes even by myself even though I have a full staff now. My store is in excellent condition, but I have to serve as a buffer between my horrible district manager and my employees. He rarely says "Good Job", its always "Do better" which is the worst kind of management technique that I've ever seen. He doesn't care that half the managers work way too much overtime, and neither does the company. All they care about is metrics and phone sales. My store TOPS the district every month with total sales but does that matter? No. It's never good enough for Radioshack. Having high expectations for your store managers and employees is understandable, but you have to take into consideration that if you treat your employees like total garbage, then that's get reflected in our work ethic.

Do not micromanage so much. If you could get off our backs for a moment and let us do our jobs, then we would be able to help "control the metrics". No matter what you big corporate wigs think, you can't FORCE customers to buy a product. You can't FORCE them to buy attach. and You can't FORCE them to buy RSSP. Lower you expectations to a reasonable requirement so that us little folks can achive them. How can you expect a store in a small town with maybe 20 tickets a day to have the same requirements as a store with 75? But I do want to thank you for encouraging me to go to college. Because I know that retail management isn't the job for me.

Not terrible, but not great

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Since they pay Spiffs for cell-phone sales, you can control how much you get paid, to an extent since they pay minimum wage. If you get everything done, you can have some downtime.

Cons

Takes a while to become acclimated with the many products, procedures. If you go full-time, you pick up a ton of responsibility... so much so it will likely hinder your cell phone sales, which is pretty much the reason to work. No pay raises, ever. Benefits are mediocre at best.

Better training is necessary. Hiring process questionairre is probably not the best solution to seed out the best recruits.

There are newer employer reviews for RadioShack