RadioShack

www.radioshack.com
  www.radioshack.com
There are newer employer reviews for RadioShack

King of manipulation, threats, head games, and lies.

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are an overabundance of slackers, jail birds, and job hoppers who apply for jobs at Radioshack, so if you are out of a job, desperate for employment, and are a responsible hard worker you will likely get hired.

Cons

The sales associates get minimum wage, which wouldn't be so bad except the company expects them to know how to do an excessive amount of work to a very high standards and by unreasonable deadlines outside of sales, none of which makes them anymore money. They are expected to be experts in all things electronic, yet force feed you training materials with no focus on retention. And all of which takes time away from focusing on sales or, more importantly cell phone sales. The commission for cell phone sales are a joke: $12 for upgrades and $14 for new lines. $7 for prepaid if the phone costs more then $15. This is the only variable they have any control over. If they push push push phones all day everyday, they could make a decent amount of commission if they work in a high volume store and if they didn't have all that other work already mentioned. The team bonus relies on all team members performing at an unattainably high targets for most stores to maintain for the entire month. It is designed to be just out of reach.

The company knows it's targets are unattainable, but their hiring model rewards mediocre intelligence in employees so most of their employees try fruitlessly to reach these goals, making the company more money but not the employees. Once the employees realize they'll never reach the targets, by figuring out the scam or just repeatedly being beaten down, they stop trying at all when managers aren't watching. The grow resentful and angry and start stealing from the store or doing false returns. Their customer service attentiveness virtually disappears and business drops. The company blames managers for this, fire rehire, whole cycle restarts.

Managers are required to work overtime every week for an average of $3 or less per hour. The company has been sued for this and lost in many cases yet it continues. The base pay for managers is on average $3 more an hour than the associates pay. The company takes store losses (theft, returns, store maintenance, utilities, workman's comp, etc) out of the pittance of a possible bonus managers can get if the store beats plans 40% higher than previous years sales. Managers must beat sales of everyone in the store, have daily role plays with every associate, track every sales metric as it occurs, manually, report to manager twice daily, do associate reviews twice a week, is held responsible for every aspect of store operations, service, cleaning, training, pushing sales especially attach ( guilting, persuading, pushing customers to get a minimum dollar amount of accessories with every purchase) and writing up employees who do not do this at a high enough rate every two weeks, with threat of termination lurking around every corner.

Visions of grandeur and fear tactics seem to be the only ways execs know to run this dog and pony show.

I am a good manager who has won many awards and a leader in sales and even I feel like I am never sure what is good enough for this company or if they'll change their mind next week about their direction and replace me. I am highly organized and I find it infinitely difficult to complete the multitude of checklists and operational tasks while still maintaining a clean, tagged, secure, presentable store AND driving sales. They allot far too few hours to cover the store and complete all tasks expected, resulting in over worked over stressed underpaid employees who hate where they work. On a daily basis I feel like I have to go against my morals to keep my job, or risk my job to do what is right for the customer. I admit I've complained at other jobs, but RadioShack is by far the worst company in every way, that I have ever worked for. Everything people talk about hating about corporations, RadioShack embodies. I don't think any reasonable suggestions would be entertained by RadioShack corporate. They're sharks.

1507 Other Employee Reviews for RadioShack (View Most Recent)

Horrible

Former Employee - Target Mobile Store Manager
    Former Employee - Target Mobile Store Manager

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Spiffs, Hours, Ability to manage your own clientele

Cons

Organization, Willingness to help their employees, Product availability

When things happen never go off he said she said.. This is a career not Middle School

A startup job, if you into retail, use Radio Shack as a stepping stone to get you where you really want to be.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Radio Shack isn't as terrible as most people say, though I gave it a bad rating it did have a lot of positive moments, and though its been around before my time it's still a company with a lot of potential. The process to store manager is pretty simple, there's a lot of turn over and if you sell, and sell your ass off, you'll be the next guy up.....

Cons

Cons reflect off the pro's though advancement in the company is rapid, it also hurts you as a manager, with tenure managers getting fired, they normally take your best seller, someone you've worked on and trained is now gone.... Brining you back to a store with little to no employees with actual knowledge.

Spend more time on your recruiting process, if thats to costly then focus more on the training aspect. When I go into a store, I aspect the employee to be filled with knowledge about their product, theres to many other options out there for me to go to, if you don't know anything.... I'll just go to the store down the street that does.

There are newer employer reviews for RadioShack