RadioShack

www.radioshack.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for RadioShack

It is better than food service, but the company will continually try to find ways to pay you less and less.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bellingham, WA
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy my fellow co-workers, I make commission off selling phones, and the schedule is very flexible so I am able to go to school while still working full time. I also enjoy the benefit of getting discounts off some of the merchandise that is carried, so I can purchase presents for friends and family at a discounted price. I also have the inside scoop on a lot of new developments in tech releases and what not, such as new Apple products, new product lines, etc.

Cons

The company is being mismanaged into the ground. They like to hire management from outside rather than promote up, so it is common for higher ups to have very little understanding of what it is like to work in a store as a sales associate. They also keep trying to push their failing practices harder and harder in a brute force attempt to make them work. If you do not sell what they want you to sell, you will be ridiculed and punished until you leave, get fired, or succeed. The last manager meeting I attended, our DM said that her stance was, "In this economy, our employees are expendable. You all have 'Help Wanted' signs for a reason." There used to be a focus on training the employees on a weekly basis to keep them well versed on key products that customers will want answers to off the top of your head. They cut that program, though. Also, they keep lowering commission every so often. I have actively seen my commission go down every couple of months as they keep "reorganizing" the way they pay us, while simultaneously asking us to work harder and sell more to make what we used to. It's a failing business with a failure-prone business model. I wouldn't say that this is the worst job I have ever worked, but the compensation is not good enough for me to keep being okay with getting yelled at by disgruntled, technologically-illiterate customers with a penchance for claiming that they will be filing a complaint.
P.S. the company tries to hire people that they consider to have "longevity". By this, they mean they want people that don't aspire for anything greater. Applications are given a score based off how "neutral" prospective employees are. The highest rated employees have approximately average intelligence, work ethic, desire for human interaction, etc. The farther away from "average" you get, the lower you are rated. Some of the lowest scoring applicants are rated so poorly because they are too intelligent, too eager to help customers, want to work too hard. What? Since when is having the dumb guy work there for 10 years better than having the bright guy work there for 2?

If you care so much about certain metrics, incense your employees to work in ways to reach those metrics. DO NOT take away commission for selling RSSP and then ask us to sell more. DO NOT cut commission for selling phones and then tell us to talk wireless more often.

1649 Other Employee Reviews for RadioShack (View Most Recent)

It's great if you love cell phones

Former Employee - Wireless Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Wireless Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at RadioShack full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Commission is controlled by you

Cons

Prices are sometimes not comparable to competitors

Award top salesman

Good work place but management is another story

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good money and friendly people

Cons

Manager does not know what he is doing

go back to sales need training for management

There are newer employer reviews for RadioShack