RadioShack

www.radioshack.com
  www.radioshack.com
There are newer employer reviews for RadioShack

Don't work for target mobile or radio shack

Current Employee - Sales Manager Target Mobile in Sioux Falls, SD
Current Employee - Sales Manager Target Mobile in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Target employees are great most days they will be the only ones to talk with. Target discount.

Cons

Pay is horrible district managers are idiots. Do not expect any growth with them they will not survive past march 2013 read the q3 investor call radikshack is calling it quits with target a d they will not promote you to another location (ask your Dm what hapend with the Sam's club buyout) unless you love standing around for hours with low pay and 3 hours of conference calls each week and hundreds of text from the dm revving you for sales with no inventory or the phones no one wants and can buy cheaper any place else stay away.

Stop lying to the managers and get some inventory no one is going to order something when you can go less then a Block away and buy it cheaper. Stop pushing your epp plans they are crap at least best buys insurance is a zero deductible and they give you a free loaner phone. Radikshack epp $100 deductible and a 2 week turn around all for 8$ a month who would do that. Why can't they get iPhone 5 yet if you are going to offer presales make sure you can get the product great customer service no wonder they are almost bankrupted.

1507 Other Employee Reviews for RadioShack (View Most Recent)

Terrible, abusive management.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in North Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in North Little Rock, AR

I have been working at RadioShack part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, and most stores are only open for eleven hours.

Cons

Upper management is clueless, there is no system for raises, your salary is entirely dependent upon your neighborhood and customers because of sales commission.

It is better than food service, but the company will continually try to find ways to pay you less and less.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoy my fellow co-workers, I make commission off selling phones, and the schedule is very flexible so I am able to go to school while still working full time. I also enjoy the benefit of getting discounts off some of the merchandise that is carried, so I can purchase presents for friends and family at a discounted price. I also have the inside scoop on a lot of new developments in tech releases and what not, such as new Apple products, new product lines, etc.

Cons

The company is being mismanaged into the ground. They like to hire management from outside rather than promote up, so it is common for higher ups to have very little understanding of what it is like to work in a store as a sales associate. They also keep trying to push their failing practices harder and harder in a brute force attempt to make them work. If you do not sell what they want you to sell, you will be ridiculed and punished until you leave, get fired, or succeed. The last manager meeting I attended, our DM said that her stance was, "In this economy, our employees are expendable. You all have 'Help Wanted' signs for a reason." There used to be a focus on training the employees on a weekly basis to keep them well versed on key products that customers will want answers to off the top of your head. They cut that program, though. Also, they keep lowering commission every so often. I have actively seen my commission go down every couple of months as they keep "reorganizing" the way they pay us, while simultaneously asking us to work harder and sell more to make what we used to. It's a failing business with a failure-prone business model. I wouldn't say that this is the worst job I have ever worked, but the compensation is not good enough for me to keep being okay with getting yelled at by disgruntled, technologically-illiterate customers with a penchance for claiming that they will be filing a complaint.
    P.S. the company tries to hire people that they consider to have "longevity". By this, they mean they want people that don't aspire for anything greater. Applications are given a score based off how "neutral" prospective employees are. The highest rated employees have approximately average intelligence, work ethic, desire for human interaction, etc. The farther away from "average" you get, the lower you are rated. Some of the lowest scoring applicants are rated so poorly because they are too intelligent, too eager to help customers, want to work too hard. What? Since when is having the dumb guy work there for 10 years better than having the bright guy work there for 2?

If you care so much about certain metrics, incense your employees to work in ways to reach those metrics. DO NOT take away commission for selling RSSP and then ask us to sell more. DO NOT cut commission for selling phones and then tell us to talk wireless more often.

There are newer employer reviews for RadioShack