People who want to make a difference

Current Employee - Director of Operations  in  Fort Worth, TX
Current Employee - Director of Operations in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at RadioShack full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most people I have encountered at HQ truly care about RS succeeding. They also are helpful across different functions. Not as silo'd as other companies I have worked for. Integrity is a strong value here.

Cons

HQ workers are too timid. Scared to break out of the mold and go against normalcy.

Need a consistent voice from leadership regarding key initiatives.

Other Reviews for RadioShack

Horrific

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at RadioShack full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with, as well as the manager, but that's due to the fact that I had worked with them previously at other locations.

Cons

Where to begin ....

DM was horrendous. Company holds two conference calls a week (micromanage much?), and the DM used these days as perfect opportunities to let the "team" know how awful they were doing, who wasn't hitting their "numbers and goals," who wasn't "compliant," and every manager was informed of which employees hadn't signed off on their time cards, and who hadn't clocked out for their lunches. We would get calls daily from the DM asking who was working, why we hadn't sold sale items, and asked routinely if we "wanted to win" or "find another job."

We as employees were required to clock out for a 30 minute lunch regardless of whether we took it or we were too busy to sit down and have a lunch, so we essentially worked for nothing 30 minutes a day. Commission structures changed when the company started losing money, so the obvious answer was to take money from the employees.

Training was a joke. New hires had to sit in front of a computer for weeks to learn absolutely nothing about the things we sold.

Managers were treated like children. Denied days off no matter what the reason (including funerals), required to work 50 hours a week with no overtime, had to travel hours to other stores for transitional reasons.

No opportunity whatsoever to advance. Managers and assistant managers were hired from the outside, taking jobs from employees who had been with the company for years. No raises.

If you're looking for a job, you should look elsewhere. You would be better off unemployed.

Treat employees and managers like adults, stop the micromanaging, encourage your people to do better and they WILL do better. Frightening them with termination, snubbing them with sarcasm, and ignoring their complaints are the reasons you always have a "The Shack Is Now Hiring!" sign on the door.

Horrible pay , hardly any customers come into store

Former Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Orlando, FL

I worked at RadioShack part-time for less than a year

Pros

There are none i can think of!!! Pay is minimum wage plus commission of $14 per contract phone sold and $7 per prepaid phone sold. With the extremely low foot traffic, It's tough to sell even 10 phones in a month, not enough customers. Extremely high pressure sales. They also want you to sell extended warranties on literally everything. They want you to treat customer like car salesman would, bully the customer into buying warranty, don't take no for an answer, make the customer feel like they are stupid for not buying it. Radioshack views customers as nothing more than walking wallets.

Cons

Note to radioshack: You're the only retailer that offers extended warranties on items such as sd cards, hdmi cables, ethernet cables, aux cables, car chargers, alarm clocks, etc..... none of your competitors sell extended warranties on those items.. y do u think that is....hmmm no wonder your company stock is a penny stock!!!!!

A typical non cell phone sale requires you to offer extended warranty on every item purchased, then ask customer for their cell phone account information to check upgrade eligibility, then offer batteries, then solicit customer to donate to livestrong foundation.

A typical cell phone sale requires you to upsell at least thirty dollars of accessories with each phone. Then you have to upsell the extended warranty on the phone itself, the cell phone case, the car charger, the sd card, and any other accesories the customer may purchase for the phone, also try to sell the customer some batteries, and then solicit them to donate to livestrong foundation.

Customers are not walking wallets that are there for pillaging.

There are newer employer reviews for RadioShack.

Worked for RadioShack? Contribute to the Community!