RadioShack
2.4 of 5 1,285 reviews
www.radioshack.com Fort Worth, TX 5000+ Employees

Poor responsibility/commission balance.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

ProsGood job security, I know managers that have been with the company for 10+ years.

ConsWhen you interview for the job, they tell you that you will be paid minimum wage. "But that's not important because your commission checks from your cell phone sales are how you make your money."

This sounds great, except that they don't tell you that there are two kinds of sales associates. "Core Associates" and "Wireless Specialists."

The Core Associates stock shelves, do price audits, and help customers. All the basics of retail that are expected. The Wireless Specialists, on the other hand, stand in the doorway and greet customers as they enter the store. They quickly establish whether the customer is interested in a cell phone or not and then either pursue their wireless sale, or pass them off to a core associate if it is anything but a wireless sale.

Some days the scheduling will end up with three specialists and one core associate on a shift. The specialists will stand around all day, while a single core associate is required to help every vagrant, or Alzheimers addled senior citizen who wants you to explain to them how to sync their universal remote with their 20 year old VCR.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn improved commissions package for the core associates would boost sales much more than any unachievable "Carrot on a stick" reward.

Delegate some responsibilities to the Wireless Specialists.

Typical retail sales job with very limited room for growth

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at RadioShack full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good for students and part-timers who are looking for an… Cons: Poor pay. No bump in pay even if you work there for 5 years. Its up to you to sell cellphones and make commission. No… Advice to Senior Management: You focus on a complete sales solution, but you don't focus on keeping you employees happy. There is no reason for… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Little consideration for store employees

Store Associate (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

I have been working at RadioShack part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Fun dealing with (most of) the general public. With a background in electronics,… Cons: Store shift scheduling: Even though policy requires store managers to post work schedules a week before they take effect, in my district this has never… Advice to Senior Management: Most Radio Shack stores are not set up, nor staffed, to competently peddle wireless handsets competitively with retailers who do nothing else. There's little/no profit… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on RadioShack.

Worked for RadioShack? Contribute to the Community!

RadioShack – Why Work for Us?

Why RadioShack? RadioShack has created a loyal following of customers through our associates' expertise and collaborative spirit with consumers, celebrating the longstanding idea that "two heads are better than one… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RadioShack reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RadioShack CEO Joseph C. Magnacca. All reviews posted anonymously by RadioShack employees.