There are newer employer reviews for Rady Children's Hospital

SR Business Systems Analyst - Project Lead

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You work for a company that helps children

Cons

they do not treat there employees very good

Stop Allowing Your Management Team Create a Hostile Environment

44 Other Employee Reviews for Rady Children's Hospital (View Most Recent)

Behavioral Health Assistant

Current Employee - Behavioral Health Assistant  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Behavioral Health Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Rady Children's Hospital part-time for more than a year

Pros

I am allowed to make my own schedule, which is (nearly) invaluable.

Working with a completely different case nearly every day leaves a hugely lasting impression in the long run. There are world class talents around you at all times, and it shows.

People treat you like a saint when they find out where you work, which starts to rub off on you for a time.

Cons

Do you like peanuts? You will be paid in them. $13.47 an hour, with an unpaid and extremely strict half hour lunch break (if you are lucky enough to even get your lunch)

No benefits (it's hard to explain to people that I work at a hospital and don't have insurance.) They strongly desire a psychology degree, but only pay for the required high school diploma rate. You will likely be overqualified, and unless you are trying to be a nurse, you have absolutely zero prospects for moving up.

The hours are extremely long, and you may find that sitting in a room for 12 hours "sitting" is not for you. However, if this is something that you are able to do, be prepared for one of two things: being assaulted by behavioral children, or not interacting with a sick child for 12 hours. You are not meaningfully using your degree, nor do they want you to be.

Speaking of "sitting", after some amount of time of working within nearly every single department of the hospital, you will come to be profecient at doing other people's jobs. If being stuck in a room with someone who is screaming, dying, pulling at their lines, punching and kicking, or otherwise just ill isn't hard enough, you will soon be asked to do the nurse's jobs. If you don't learn to do them, you will be treated with such a grand level of passive aggressiveness that you may find yourself with an entire department of enemies VERY quickly. Heaven help you if you don't know medical terminology - maybe one out of three nurses will take this out on you in some passive way.

Finally (I could go on for a novel at this point), you will see your boss maybe two or three times a year. Your interactions will be vapid and meaningless, and thus you will leave feeling like you've just met a stepford wife. They are overly polite and very impersonal. Don't expect any realistic changes to come from them.

If I could do it all over again, I wouldnt have taken this job. They are RIPPING YOU OFF and laughing all the way to the bank. The experience is golden, but unless you are ready to become a nurse within a few months of getting this job, its meaningless.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Give a crap about your "sitters". Your hospital would fall apart without the people who the patients and families interact with 95% of their stay. And stop calling them that, seriously.

Rady's Health Information Management department is a great place to work!

Former Employee - Student Intern  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Student Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Rady Children's Hospital as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly, busy and supportive department.

Cons

Most all the employees are overwhelmed!

There are newer employer reviews for Rady Children's Hospital

Worked for Rady Children's Hospital? Contribute to the Community!