Lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

lots of challenges and opportunities to grow

Cons

heavy workload; unhappy former employees cast a shadow

Advice to Management

address glass door

Other Employee Reviews for Rain Bird

Engineer

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Rain Bird full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hmmm not much to mention.

Cons

Management is very secretive, like a fraternity

Good, Bad, and Ugly... real ugly.

Current Employee - Commercial Sales/Marketing
    Current Employee - Commercial Sales/Marketing

I have been working at Rain Bird full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great product, significant $ spent on engineering, entrepreneurial, market leader, tend to be some quality people spread throughout organization.

Cons

>BENEFITS: Subpar. As a private company a significant amount of costs are passed on to employees. Make sure to factor in when negotiating salary. >TURN OVER: Archaic forced ranking system where 10% of each group must be replaced annually. Problem is that even performers will end up on "Performance Improvement" due to the CYA mentality. This also results in lack of commitment from employees as they are always looking to protect themselves from getting fired. Spend the majority of my time training new hires and getting them up to speed. >TRAINING: No real training. You are on your own to learn your duties. Plus everyone is worried about getting fired so there is minimal team work and it seems that peers want you to fail to ensure they don't loose their jobs. >MANAGEMENT: Managers are so worried about losing their jobs they do not do their jobs. I have been asked to put together programs that are not needed BUT my manager is trying to cover his arse even if lowers the companies profit. Imagine what the owner would say if he knew that we have been instructed to give away 15% of his profits to maintain the right internal perception. >FORCED RANKING: All employees are forced ranked based on perception not actual results. This creates a culture of people focussing on saving their jobs versus being productive. I know it sounds ridiculous but it is the culture.

Advice to Management

Hire within industry and work to keep employees. The most successful companies seem to be those that have tenured employees. Times have changed and employees want to be valued not seen as a commodity.