There are newer employer reviews for Rally Software

Yes the culture has changes, but Rally is still what you make of it

Current Employee - "Middle" Manager  in  Boulder, CO
Current Employee - "Middle" Manager in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Rally Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Rally has the highest concentration of smart, passionate people I've encountered at any employer. Not a day goes by where I don't learn something.

2. Amazing work/life balance. Not just excellent, amazing. There's absurd flexibility in work schedule as long as you get your work done. Need to work from France for two weeks? Fine. Germany for ten days? Fine. Florida for a week? Fine.

3. The idea of creating your own reality is not just an idea. If you're passionate about something that is likely to help the business, there's a good chance you'll get to work on it.

4. Despite massive growth, Rally still has an amazing corporate culture.

Cons

1. Rally is a strict meritocracy that strongly favors people who are willing to speak their mind. Highly assertive people will do VERY well, especially if they are also highly skilled. Less assertive people will get lost in the shuffle, especially if they are anything less than excellent at their job.

2. In the years since I've been with Rally, the culture has definitely changed. It's still the best job I've ever had, but it's definitely more corporate than it used to be. It's still wonderful, and I'm in no danger of leaving, but I'm concerned about how it will scale in five or seven years (and 2-3 more doublings of headcount).

3. As other reviewers have mentioned, there's not a ton of vacation. This is partially made up for by the absurd flexibility in work schedule, but it deserves mention.

4. Total compensation is often less than what employees could make elsewhere. This is partially made up for by the work/life balance, but dollars are dollars. You can work 40 hours at Rally for X, or 60 hours somewhere else for 1.25X. The pay is definitely not poor, but it's not Silicone Valley wage either.

Hire less. Pay more. You should especially adjust compensation for talented junior employees more aggressively. They are a flight risk.

Keep the culture-scaling Rock going.

Never stop having beer on tap.

71 Other Employee Reviews for Rally Software (View Most Recent)

Great internship

Current Employee - Sales Operations Intern  in  Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Intern in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Rally Software as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Amazing culture, flat structure, fun environment. Other internships I've had, I've been stuck in a cubicle - the field operations team at Rally really made me feel like a part of the team

Cons

Seems to be very little upward mobility opps outside of sales organization. While the ever-changing organization may be open to new ideas from any position, advancement within the current structure seems pretty rare - my only hesitation for going full time here.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Rally is a HUGE disappointment!

Current Employee - Sales  in  Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Sales in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Rally Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Passionate about Agile
    - Truly wants to make customers transformation to Agile successful
    - Decent Health Insurance
    - Transparent in our goals

Cons

- Poor overall compensation, vacation benefits, and zero 401K match
    - Excessive internal meetings
    - Incredibly slow in making any kind of business decisions and lacks formal process
    - Inexperienced middle management and lacks the ability to lead people
    - Quick to terminate employees. Rally takes full advantage of the Colorado "At Will" law and has terminated people for little or no apparent reason (even employees who have been here for years)

- Decide if Rally is a growth company or a culture company
    - Listen to new / incoming employees who may have different ideas on how to do things based on past experience.

There are newer employer reviews for Rally Software

Worked for Rally Software? Contribute to the Community!