There are newer employer reviews for Randalls

Good company but shows favoritism.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I have been working at Randalls part-time for more than a year

Pros

Being a cashier at Randalls is good to gain some work experience when working with the general public, and learning how to work a cashier and balance your register at the end of the day. Easy work, good for gaining sales and customer service experience.

Cons

Favoritism among the high level management and standing up on your feet all day. The customer that shop at Randalls are very snooty and stuck up. The management shows favoritism amongst lower level employees and the raise you get is based upon the ratings you receive.

Have more patience with your new employees and don't show favoritism.

35 Other Employee Reviews for Randalls (View Most Recent)

Very Terrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Randalls for more than 3 years

Pros

I had other employees to assure me that I wasn't whiny, that the company really was that bad.
    They do hire people with mental disabilities.

Cons

Bear with me.
    They treat their employees horribly. They push them around and have a lot of negative reinforcement. There are too many tasks without enough time, and we get yelled at when it's not done. Then, they add more tasks and cut hours. There's a lot of overstress and misery among the employees. I've never heard anyone say "It was hard, but I'm glad I stuck with the company." I heard "Get out of Randalls. Don't stay like I did" and "I've worked for Randalls since before they were owned by Safeway. That was back when they actually cared about their employees" FYI, several employees are college degree holders falling on hard times. Many of us are not whiny dropouts or slackers who are reaping what we sow.

Customer service is rigid and excessive. We have to speak/pester every customer we come across, including in the aisles. We have set questions we have to ask, and at times we have had stupid gimmicks where we tell customers about a product, offer a sample, and before they've even said whether they want it, ask them how many they want. That's pushy salesmanship. We can't just neglect it either, because we get graded on doing all of it, and it goes on our file for review. It can also be graded by a company secret shopper, so you're affecting the store's grade. Your name will be posted for everyone to see how you did.

Donations are a dread. Not only do you have to ask every customer, but they are watching if you do. If your donations aren't up to their standard, they pull you aside to question you. They also post everyone's donation earnings by name and rank for all to see. They will write comments by certain people. I used to simply tell people about our donation opportunities so I wouldn't seem pushy. The management told me that didn't "prompt" the customer enough and that I had to ask customers if they would donate.

Pay is cheap. The raises are usually about 20-30 cents per half year. I once go 50 cents, and that was a big deal. They aren't supposed to work an employee Christmas and Easter, but they will. The volunteer holidays aren't volunteer. You will be scheduled regardless. The Christmas bonus: one extra dollar per hour. That's it.

Don't support this business. Support other businesses that treat their employees correctly. Then, those businesses will have more money to hire more employees and give them an opportunity.

Stand up for your employees

Horrible

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Katy, TX

I have been working at Randalls part-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers are great, the networking is wonderful and easy to do as a cashier.

Cons

Company cares nothing about employees, they allow customers to treat you like trash and they expect you to take it and be happy about it.

Treat your employees better and your turnover rate won't be so high, people will want to work there.

There are newer employer reviews for Randalls

Worked for Randalls? Contribute to the Community!