A great place to work!

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Random House

Pros

It's a wonderful company with many benefits. Even as an intern there were plenty of benefits of being associated with Random House, from free museum entry to discounts at various retailers. The overall work environment is one that is relaxed enough that it allows you to pursue you own interests and projects in addition to assigned work.
Also, there are always people willing to help you and answer any of your questions. And of course, the obvious perk, FREE BOOKS. I don't think I can even count how many free books I amassed over the summer. Overall a great place to work.

Cons

I can't think of a downside really. Perhaps the only downside is that everyone wants to work there, therefore making it harder to get hired.

Sometimes I felt things could have been run a bit more smoothly but I think that was only specific to my department, not the company as a whole. My department was a bit lax, but that allowed me to focus on my intern project as well as to assist professionals in other departments that interested me. The internship program however ran very well I felt. My only gripe in that regard would be that certain intern group members didn't contribute as strongly as others and perhaps this wasn't always evident to our supervisors.

Perhaps only to be more present in the office and to delegate assignments better. I felt that the members of my department were often very timid about asking me to do things for them, which I thought was a bit crazy because that's what I was there for! Overall I was very happy there however and felt that I learned a great deal. Perhaps not in my specific department as management was often away, but certainly through the intern luncheons.

Other Reviews for Random House

Great job experience and benefits

Former Employee - Associate Editor  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Random House

Pros

Amazing health benefits and 401K matching, 3 weeks vacation to start, sabbatical options, perks like gym membership discounts and free museum passes. Some flexibility. Friendly, smart, talented people. You are generally given a lot of independence and trusted to do your job well---no one looking over your shoulder at every turn.
    Excellent name recognition and big-house experience, so a great stepping stone to other jobs at other companies.

Cons

Combination of slow promotions, small salary increases, and heavy workload. The paperwork and established processes can feel a bit bureaucratic, and not much opportunity for stepping outside a tightly defined role. Frequent management turnover in some divisions is unsettling.

Recognize who is going the extra mile and who is not and reward with promotions and salary increases in kind (or at least make a case to upper mgmt). Recognize who is taking on too much or feels overwhelmed and help manage it. Give more frequent and brutally honest employee performance reviews. Give compliments where they are due, and defend your employees where deserved, even in times of instability.

Random House

Current Employee - Associate Publicist  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Publicist in New York, NY

I have been working at Random House

Pros

Benefits, job tasks, and people. Random House employs well-educated, passionate and hardworking employees who care about their books, their authors, and the written word. The heavy load of titles published each season ensures a high level of involvement and independent projects for new and young employees. Benefit packages include extensive vacation time, corporate deals, retirement savings plans, and generous medical benefits.

Cons

Low compensation. A great deal of time and effort is expected and required of all employees, who receive salaries that make living in New York nearly impossible.

Compensate employees more competitively. Offer more training programs and better offers to subsidize continuing education for employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Random House.

Worked for Random House? Contribute to the Community!