There are newer employer reviews for Rapid7

Sales people: Take caution

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Rapid7 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The 2 core product offerings are great from a functionality perspective. However, they are very expensive, nice to have solutions. Only orgs that are buying these are fortune 500 and the like. Trendy office.

Cons

Where do I begin. From day one, I was lured in under false pretenses. The "talent scout" that hired me was nice enough, but was stumped on my first question on our phone interview. She even admitted that it was such a great question that the managers are going to want to interview me. My onsite interview lasted about 15 minutes. Couple of the cliche questions with the Director and met with the hiring manager (or at least who I thought was the hiring manager). When I was hired, I was supposed to be working one territory and was immediately baited and switched to another. I should I have quit right here on the spot.

After a couple of months of up and down success I took a deep look at what I was accomplishing, which was not much. The political management relationships were as toxic as the koolaid is passed down from the CEO and Founders. There is about 1 goldmine territory per team (if it wasn't already burned by a previous rep, or most times, multiple reps). Vacation time? Forget about it. Day off? Better bring a doctor's note or they'll be skeptical. Middle management is mostly made up of successful reps who started with the company who have no guidance or qualifications to lead a team. They were put there because they found a way to stuff this product down customer's throats and can teach that method to new members. I was often asked who I thought was a successful rep and why. I hate the behind closed doors mentality. They preach transparency and quite frankly it turned into a cult like structure.

Quite simply: get rid of them all. If this company wants to grow and "go public", get someone with experience at successful companies and a track record of managing successful teams.

78 Other Employee Reviews for Rapid7 (View Most Recent)

Toxic leadership lacking ethics & integrity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Rapid7 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Their 2 core products are good and the security industry in general is awesome.
    Office in the pru was cool. You peers are awesome. Good compensation if you hit your target

Cons

Leadership and management are consistently abusive to employees. This company is the definition of the wrong example. Their upper management, both the leadership team and the management team are highly toxic. Either you suck up and obey or you are out.
    If you define core values for a company, then lead by example. Ethics, transparency, teamwork and disciplined risk taking is a hoax. Upper management (leadership team) will pull you in a room and interrogate you regarding your peers. For example : What do you think of person XX? Don’t you think person XX should work more hours? Do you think person XX is even capable of doing this job? I’ve never felt so uncomfortable in my whole career. They talk around you back.
    I think they liked me since I was one of their top performers. That’s why I had the interrogation privilege. :-/
    I left due to the fact they are leading by the worst example possible. Ethics are below standard.
    Working hard is ok, expected to work 11 hours per day isn't.
    You are called a dinosaur if your work for the company longer than 1 year.
    Rumors are being spread if you are not a friend of some key people in the leadership team.

Become an honest and transparent company. Let go of the political toxic culture. A view leadership people are responsible for creating this culture.
    Listen to employees. Conduct exit conversations. Be open for development opportunities regarding the culture.

You will work hard, you will learn a lot, and if you are committed...you can be really successful!

Former Employee - Account Executive/Team Lead
    Former Employee - Account Executive/Team Lead

I worked at Rapid7 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are amazing and everyone is willing to help you. However, they aren't going to spoon feed you... you need to be proactive and not be afraid to ask for help. The training and enablement when you start is also very good. They give you time to get comfortable with the technology and the company before they throw you right on the phones. This company is also very team oriented so you have a great support system to help you develop. I was very confident in the leadership at the top and they continued to bring in top talent during my entire 2 year tenure across the entire business. It is a fun company to work for and there are always competitions that award you additional incentives and keep you motivated. Just a sample of these types of rewards: Team Dinners, Exclusive Athletic Events, Exclusive Concert Experiences, Gift Cards, etc. If there was something that would motivate you or your team to succeed all you had to do was ask and there was a good chance they would make it happen. Earning potential was uncapped in sales and there were people here in their mid 20's who made over $200K last year. Outside my direct experience in sales I was also extremely impressed with several other departments as everyone is committed to making this company one of the best places to work and exceeding customer expectations. This a fast growing company and they hire talented, smart, and competitive people who are eager to learn and produce results quickly. If you are one of these people and you want to be around other like-minded professionals- this could be a great fit!

Cons

This is a place that demands a lot from employees. I don't believe that is a con on the company, I think it is that people who interview say they are willing to work hard and can handle the demanding workload when in reality they aren't prepared to. You will work long hours, you will experience pressure when it comes to billing and forecasting... but they do give you ample time to develop and will work with you if you are having difficulties. If you are looking for a 9-5 this is not for you. If you are looking for an 8-6 this is probably also not for you...unless you are willing to put in work outside normal hours or are an extremely efficient person who learns very quickly. Like I said above...if you work hard and pick it up quickly there are tons of incentives and you can make some serious money. No one who makes $150-200K+ doesn't work hard or make sacrifices that may affect their personal lives or work life balance.

My advice to management is keep attracting top talent and developing people internally who can coach and develop the new hires. The culture at Rapid7 is amazing and keeping it in tact at the rate you are growing is a challenge. Make sure you continue to put people who have succeeded in positions to share their stories with new hires to show them what is truly possible with hard work and dedication.

There are newer employer reviews for Rapid7