Raycom

There are newer employer reviews for Raycom

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive
Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Raycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Midsize stations in many locations. Lots of opportunity for advancement for those that want to move up within the company. Decent benefits, good base for AE's to get started before they switch over to 100% commission. The company is embracing multi platform selling and non traditional avenues of income. Very strong digital presence. Commissions are good.

Cons

Because they are really good in certain markets the air time is bought up by national accounts. Can be difficult to get new local business on due to high rates, makes it hard for small businesses to afford. They do not have stations in large markets.

As in most companies, lots of different personalities in management. Communication can get muddled at times (different signals). Overall a good company to work for if you are willing to work hard.

31 Other Employee Reviews for Raycom (View Most Recent)

Depends on your work ethic

Current Employee - Account Executive in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Raycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Raycom Media is a recognized in television industry and own 35+ stations in the Eastern part of the United States of America.

Cons

It depends on the station and the management; comission structures can change at any time; expect to work a minimum of 60 hours a week if you want to make any money and cover your draw.

I honestly couldn't be happier...most of the other reviews are far from that though, and I know why!!

Current Employee - IS Manager in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - IS Manager in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Raycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Raycom is a fantastic company with good employee values, awesomely cheap benefits, fair-market pay, financial stability, and a solid outlook towards the future of Broadcast Media. I have been in Broadcast IT for 5 years now, and I came from Media General which is a tanking company with all the wrong values, a horrible financial future (and present), and absolutely NO employee values. All these Raycom-bashing reviews on here are from Production staff which are a dime-a-dozen because of the high turnover...they don't realize that it isn't Raycom paying them that low, its the market pay for ANY broadcast media entity, and they just haven't done their homework. Furthermore, Raycom Corporate actually keeps their fingers off micro-managing stations (Media General, on the other hand, controlled every single detail!) and because of that, each station is its own entity and can adjust and mold to their specific market instead of a corporate-standardized setup which just doesn't work. (Media General again!) If you're in News Production then you will get paid bare-bones, but that applies in any broadcast media station...however, if you are on the Sales, Marketing, or Engineering side of things then a good-paying stable career is a real option that can provide you with fulfillment, new daily knowledge, and working for a company that actually does value its employees for what they are: The backbone of their business.

Cons

Every employer has cons, its a fact of life no matter how great the company may be. I could ask for a bonus structure in pay for Salaried employees, or a bump-up in 401K matching (its 1.5% matched right now, I think?) but those are nit-picking. There are limitations to how high you can climb in the company, but that's because the corporate side of things isn't really all that large and they have very low turnover in Alabama. Overall, in a very unstable financial market like today, I'd have to say Raycom is doing alright and is going to be around for a long while. You can't say that for a lot of companies nowadays.

Upper management, for the most part, is doing their job well. I know, at least from the IT-side of things, that our CIO is awesome and is an exec that you can literally call on the phone and he will not only answer the call, but will help you with whatever you need...I can rattle off quite a few companies that an idea like that is insane! Corporate doesn't so-much have the "Holier-than-thou" attitude that other corporations I've worked for has, and I've even had a drink and chatted with CEO Paul McTear at an employee conference and he is the most down-to-earth executive I've ever met!

There are newer employer reviews for Raycom