There are newer employer reviews for Raymond James Financial

I had a great experience at RJF. I learned a lot about the corporate world and how to act in a professional manner.

Current Intern - Accounting in Tampa, FL
Current Intern - Accounting in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Raymond James Financial as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the departments are pretty laid back and everyone is easy to talk to. You are a part of a team and not just "an intern."

Cons

I did not learn a lot about Accounting but I did do some internal auditing, which has been a big help in my career search process.

reviews filtered by

Satisfied, but needs some improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Raymond James Financial

Pros

No Micro-managing, management/supervisors are flexible and allow us to work from home when needed, good work-life balance. Team gets along well for the most part. There are many, many dynamic, driven and talented individuals at RJ, plenty of high-caliber mentors. My team is encouraged to get any license they'd like to obtain. Good support from leadership, company engages in community service initiatives, and is working to improve diversity. Good benefits, profit sharing (cheap 401k match though) health insurance, etc.

Cons

Pay is low, despite education and licensing. "Good old boys" mentality is rampant, but new leadership is changing that dynamic (albeit slowly). The general concensus is that anyone who went to the University of Florida walks on water; these people have established their own 'secret society' in which the choice positions and projects are reserved for "Gators". Middle management is an issue- many of them are older, have been at the firm over 10 years, are used to things being a certain way and are uncomfortable with change. Moving internally is difficult (unless, of course, you went to UF).

Advice to Management

Get rid of middle management, diversify those in charge, give people who DIDN'T go to UF a chance to grow at the company, too. Evaluate middle managers and the priviliges they give each other. FIX HR- the department is a mess. Other than that, I am very confident in the changes Paul Reilly will bring and has brought thus far. Very competent leadership.

It is a good place to work, but career growth and pay is limited

Former Employee - Vice President in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Vice President in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Raymond James Financial

Pros

Raymond James is an established company, which can provide for a stable job. Their health insurance is pretty good. And they still are a growing company. They came out stronger after the 2008 downturn. People outside of RJ have respect for the company.

Cons

Since they are not on Wall Street, Raymond James knows they can get away with lower pay compared to other financial companies. Most of the departments give puny bonuses. Being serious, they hire too many old people that are extremely inefficient. In fact, it seems that efficiency is more often punished than rewarded. And they have a poor HR department. I'm not sure if HR departments at other companies are as disliked as they are at RJ.