Best employer in Tucson, but then again, it's Tucson.

Current Employee - Program Manager II  in  Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Program Manager II in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Great benefits and base pay for the area. Very flexible with work/life balance issues. Generous PTO policy. Generous policy regarding the use of company IT assets for personal needs.

Cons

Too much beauracracy. Tucson sucks. More beauracracy than its DOD customers. Not respected by its suppliers as well as other large defense contractors. Too much emphasis placed on diversity as a metric instead of simply hiring/paying/promoting for performance.

Focus on building and communicating career planning/succession to younger employees.

Other Reviews for Raytheon

Come here to learn and launch your career - but leave before you're fully assimilated.

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Boston, MA

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

Very mature processes and systems related to employee and career development. You are able to work on projects that matter and that keep soldiers alive and our nation secure. Raytheon does a very good job connecting your day to day work with the strategic direction of the company.

Cons

Extremely political - if the boss likes you, then that's all that's required. Creates an environment where 'kissing up and kicking down' is actually encouraged (though I don't believe this is on purpose). VPs feel as if their word is law and are confused when someone dares to differ in their opinion - they are surprisingly disconnected from the working lives of their staff, but feel as if they're in the loop.

Only accepting messages that you want to hear instead of what you need to hear is counterproductive.

The place to work if you like to get paid to be a warm body.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

If you like a low workload, this is the place for you.
    The people seem very nice.
    This is a great place to get started working and learn basic coding skills.
    Popcorn on wednesdays.

Cons

There is no interesting work, especially if you are new to the division. All work here is maintenance work, no new development.
    I have not done any design work or coding really at all in the 6 months I have been here. Thus far I have fixed bugs and written documentation. When I've tried to change this situation, I have been told by my management that I have to stay doing nothing (sorry "writing" documentation) because now they have money and need to spend the money. I am not a special case here, this happens to most ALL new employees coming in.
    Software engineering is 15-20 years behind the commercial industry. I'm talking basic techniques and tools here.

Start hiring technical writers and systems engineers to do your documentation.
    Plan your staffing! You have too many people sitting around doing nothing!
    Stop hiring so many new employees straight out of college and assimilate what you have.
    You don't have enough business to support hiring all these people continuously. You will decrease how much you spend if you don't have so many people sitting around waiting for assignment. This means you won't go over budget so much and your customers will be happier with you.

There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!