Raytheon

www.raytheon.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Best employer in Tucson, but then again, it's Tucson.

Current Employee - Program Manager II in Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Program Manager II in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Great benefits and base pay for the area. Very flexible with work/life balance issues. Generous PTO policy. Generous policy regarding the use of company IT assets for personal needs.

Cons

Too much beauracracy. Tucson sucks. More beauracracy than its DOD customers. Not respected by its suppliers as well as other large defense contractors. Too much emphasis placed on diversity as a metric instead of simply hiring/paying/promoting for performance.

Focus on building and communicating career planning/succession to younger employees.

1607 Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon (View Most Recent)

A Great place to start you career.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in McKinney, TX

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

The Flexible hours are GREAT! You can come and go whenever you want as long as you get your work done. So if you want to work longer hours at the beginning of the week, so that you can take a long weekend without using any of your PTO time, that is very normal. There are lots of people to meet and to learn from. Some really smart engineers and technicians work here with lots of knowledge to pass on, if you ask questions. You are able to get involved in many different projects, so that your skill set will broaden making you a more valuable employee.

Cons

The managers at times seem very disconnected to their employees. Oftentimes they are too busy doing their work, to even check-up on any of their employees, expecially the young engineers. Managers need to have more interest in making sure that young engineers are finding their way and keeping busy, but most of the time who end up having to do all of that yourself. There is a reall lack of communication between some sections of the company and even some of the employees within the same section of the business. Just know that if you aren't self-sufficient and keeping work flowing through your desk, then this isn't the place for you.

To stop by in and check up on what you employees are working on. Be more invested in the woek that is going on underneath them.

The place to work if you like to get paid to be a warm body.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

If you like a low workload, this is the place for you.
    The people seem very nice.
    This is a great place to get started working and learn basic coding skills.
    Popcorn on wednesdays.

Cons

There is no interesting work, especially if you are new to the division. All work here is maintenance work, no new development.
    I have not done any design work or coding really at all in the 6 months I have been here. Thus far I have fixed bugs and written documentation. When I've tried to change this situation, I have been told by my management that I have to stay doing nothing (sorry "writing" documentation) because now they have money and need to spend the money. I am not a special case here, this happens to most ALL new employees coming in.
    Software engineering is 15-20 years behind the commercial industry. I'm talking basic techniques and tools here.

Start hiring technical writers and systems engineers to do your documentation.
    Plan your staffing! You have too many people sitting around doing nothing!
    Stop hiring so many new employees straight out of college and assimilate what you have.
    You don't have enough business to support hiring all these people continuously. You will decrease how much you spend if you don't have so many people sitting around waiting for assignment. This means you won't go over budget so much and your customers will be happier with you.

There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon