Good technical firm

Current Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer Manager in Huntsville, AL
Current Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer Manager in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Good place to work from technology viewpoint. Variances in mgmt approaches -

Cons

good tech company, hard to break into mgmt positions and hard to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Good downward communciation in place -- little contact with mgmt.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great Place & Benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

I love that we support the miliary war fighter. As a prior military spouse this is a large sense of accomplishment.

Cons

Overall I have not really found any downsides. I love the people and the challenging work. I just wish career advancement was easier in my department.

Advice to Management

Lets keep being the most admired defense and aero space company. Our next couple of years will be tough with miliary spending decreases but we always find new and different products and uses making us very able to withstand the changing economy.

Very Political Old Boy Network Defense Contractor

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

Great benefits package, good salaries (good, not great), profit sharing, yearly bonuses, flexible work time, stock matching, 401K package has lots of investment options, parking garage is free & plentiful, corporate culture is relatively easy to understand, 3 weeks initial PTO - goes to 4 weeks after 5 years with the company, & 5 weeks after 15 years.

Cons

Promotions are at a complete standstill in certain areas & departments, geographical splits of departments means favoritism of home offices, inability to predict future work beyond six month window leads to large work shortages, fears of layoffs, targeted firings, targeted layoffs, good old boy network of senior program managers, sexist behavior towards women managers & leadership, cronyism is evident amongst departments, hero-shithead rollercoaster means you never know how your year is going to turn out, performance reviews focus on wrong objectives, section heads/line management pay too much attention to program managers & not engineers, security clearances take forever to get, secret, top secret, etc., line management hold grudges & engage in multi-year vendettas during annual performance reviews, rankings, & salary raises.

Advice to Management

Stop letting HR abuse your employees, stop letting management drive off all the young talent by placing their careers in stasis, ultimately leading to people leaving in droves for greener pastures, stop the brain drain by insisting that junior engineers work on projects with senior engineers to be mentored in skill sets necessary for the next generation, stop bringing back retirees as consultants, stop allowing project managers to save money by utilizing senior engineers only, move people around to break up political networks, stop the favoritism evident in promotions, stop pushing the bar so high that people can't get promoted, foster a culture of increased design, design skills, cross-disciplinary skills, get rid of the stringent entry requirements for some programs involving rotating assignments, business degrees for engineers, or continuing education. Stop getting rid of all of your administrative assistants, they perform valuable functions for the engineers.