There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

A good place to work if you need to get out by 6PM every night.

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Support getting additional outside education (masters degrees)
Job security

Cons

Slow promotions - not a meritocracy
Compensation is not competitive
Strong chain of command impeeds creativity

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of change.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Don't work here, I am looking to leave! Tired of lying to my employees.

Current Employee - Value Stream Leader in Forest, MS
    Current Employee - Value Stream Leader in Forest, MS

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Certainly, the benefits are good.
    Pay is okay too.
    They gave me a decent relocation package, which I took advantage off.

Cons

Management is plagued with incompetence, they are jerks to employees, and don't care about the well being of the employees. Work life balance? Forget it! They just state that in the interview to get you in the door! They frown upon you going to the Doctor, taking care of family members, taking time off. A big disappointment for me was that I was promised the 9/80 work schedule, that was a huge lie, they frown upon the 9/80 work schedule. In fact, after I got hired I was told I couldn't take every other Friday off. In addition, I had to see some managers impose on employees that they do not go on 9/80 so that they can "Support the program" or "Meet a deadline". It's a lie, they just go on their little power trips.

Long hour days, weekends, unrealistic goals, and expectations. Here is the untold truth by Sr. Management. High stress levels, and a whole bunch of idiots. Way too many layers of management very few folks actually doing the job. Then all the managers complain about why isn't the job done? If you have more managers than actual employees, there is something really wrong.

They can't hire people locally as the locals know it is the worst place to work at, and the attrition rate is through the roof, people come and go every year as soon as their 1 year relocation agreement is up they are out the door. Therefore, Sr. Management have to hire people from out of town or state. The out of state folks think they are getting a great deal at Raytheon, when they are absolutely getting screwed. However, since out of town folks don't know and haven't heard the local horror stories of working at Raytheon in Forest, MS they come in only to figure out that they just made a big mistake. Be aware of getting hired full time as they can lay you off at any time, so basically you are just a contractor. If the contracts are good with money then things are okay, as soon as the money and contracts start running out then prepare for hell. The environment of FEAR is present and that's the "Motivation" to work harder. Basically, FEAR of layoff so you have to be there weekends, you have to work overtime, you have to work third shift, you have to forget about vacation, you basically sign your life away. I have gotten threats of getting fired, I have had to lie to employees to make them come during weekends and work overtime to meet some unrealistic schedule and dates. This was certainly the worst year and change of my life. Stress levels through the roof. I dreaded every day coming in to work, Sundays were just the start. Don't work here.

HR is a joke, they will lie to you to get you on the door, don't listen, don't come in, find yourself another job at a different location. You must be really crazy or desperate to move to Forest. Either be a local and work here or else my word of advise is do not work here it is a living hell.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to employees. Give them layoff notice, don't just walk people out the door. Don't lie about things being good if they are actually pretty bad! If you bid a project, and they tell you to do it with less money don't be a YES MAN, honestly tell them the true cost, don't try to make a project happen with half the money and half the staff.

2. Aside from the big business (and defense) bureaucracy, Raytheon is a challenging and exciting place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Get to work with intelligent individuals
    Good benefits package
    Relatively good work/life balance
    Advanced technologies

Cons

High levels for bureaucracy, so much so that the process/formality takes away the ability for individuals to think creatively. This also puts a stranglehold on the flexibility of the company (and its employees).

Advice to Management

Senior management is very capable and talented. However, middle management does a poor job of communicating this vision and executing the strategy. There is a significant disconnect between senior management and the boots on the ground as to why we do things the way to do and the vision we have for the future of the company.