There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Friendly to Military

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Aurora, CO
Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Raytheon respects that employees have families and managers can be seen leaving early to pick up a sick child or going to a child's baseball game. As you would expect, they are supportive of the military without being political. The week of Christmas through New Years they are closed, which is part of the paid time off they give employees.

Cons

New employees do not get a pension and they start at only 2 weeks of paid leave per year in addition to 10 other paid days off. Unless you are a shining star--and they recognize it, you have very little opportunity for company-sponsored developmental mentoring or training. They pay for graduate school (or undergrad as applicable) up to around $8,000 and that's pretty much it. Again, unless they identify you as one of the golden children.

Junior employees always feel like they are left out to hang in terms of career planning and development. They always seem to be looking to find the "secret." Of course the secret is work hard, have a great attitude, and if you really want to excel, be seen working late on your own time to get things done. If you do this consistently, you will be recognized because you will get more done than your peers. Again, the golden children get special mentoring and treatment, which by itself it fine. Other employees are left to fend for themselves--and they can feel the difference.

1494 Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon (View Most Recent)

work/life balance is better than my peers, co-workers are considerate

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

9/80 work schedule, good benefits, diverse portfolio of technologies which means employees can work on different projects over a long-term

Cons

defense industry is cyclical so if the company doesn't win an expected contract, then layoffs are required.

Outstanding Company for qualified & dedicated professionals

Current Employee - Technical Director, Systems Integration in Tewksbury, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Director, Systems Integration in Tewksbury, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Appreciates hard work
    Outstanding benefits
    Diverse opportunities

Cons

Bonuses strongly dependent upon company success. If company has has a good year (met or exceeded all 4 company goals), bonuses are very fairly reflective of your performance; hoever, if company did not meet or exceed their 4 goals, bonuses are not as reflective of your individual performance. Often, this is determined by military funding calendar more tgan company's success and Raytheon works on a typical calendar year, not the government's fiscal year, so it is difficult at times for funding to arrive in time.

Supervisor often does not work with or near (ie, the same location) as Senior Manager, so they are not qualified to make evaluations. These evaluations should be more heavily waited on the senior people the senior manager reports eg, program manager or program's technicL director, not the person in the engineering chain of command, as the quality and accuracy of this eval is more dependent on the dedication of this person's engr supervisor than on the evaluee. MNy engr supervisors also have responsibility to a program.
    What will most engr supevisors spend more time doing - making a name for themselves in their program, or managing their engineering personnel that are not affiliated with the program they themselves work in?
    I retired from the military and joined Raytheon as a Senior Manager and loved my job. However, the first time I ever met my engineering supervisor was during my first annual evaluation (semi-annual evals were done via phone). Subsequent annual evals were the only other times I saw my SVTAD supervisor face to face. He never knew what I did or how well I did it, and refused to speak to the person I reported my most important findings, statistics, recommendations, etc, as he was one of the best VP's in the company (and new the quality of my work and degree of my dedication better than anyone).

There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon