Raytheon

www.raytheon.com
  www.raytheon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Raytheon IDS is a company in a stable market, room for career growth, and interesting work.

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer I in Tewksbury, MA
Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer I in Tewksbury, MA

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

It's very very stable. It's a great place to start out and get your feet wet. If you're looking for job security, decent pay, and a chance to make an impact right out of the gate, work at Raytheon.

Cons

The majority of the products you work on are very very very old. Most of the job is redesign or sustainment. Communication among partnering organizations is scarce. Lots of rework and downtime. A lot of times the documentation on something designed in the 70s is missing or points to a person rather than a document title.

Locate the single points of failure in legacy programs, open lines of communication, better use of lessons learned and overall knowledge sharing.

Prevent history from repeating itself!!!

1528 Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon (View Most Recent)

A great place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer I in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer I in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Most Raytheon positions allow very flexible work hours and very flexible use of paid time off.
    Very little mandatory overtime.
    Excellent performance sharing and medical/etc. benefits.

Cons

Communicatin can be slow or non-existent.
    Career advancement can be slow due to the slower pace of defense industry.
    Technical training is almost solely on your own time. Ethics, ITAR, and security training are funded.

Management may regard engineers as either high-potential or just average. I'd recommend they be careful to observe the full spectrum of engineering talent they have. Some engineers are just just above average and others are just below superstar rank.

Few people are ever fired or put onto improvement plans. Raytheon needs some way of removing the lowest performers.

Great stable, if not always challenging, place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Garland, TX

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

They pay is great, the work is sometimes interesting, and your co-workers will be intelligent. You'll be working on something you can be proud of. The company will pay for you to continue your education, which is great if your interested in getting a free graduate degree.

Cons

Not always working on the latest and greatest technology. Sometimes feel like your re-inventing the same wheel just to sell it to the Government. You get very little feedback ever. There are some politics that go on (I suppose that is normal) in that it seems like promotions are often determined by who you know. The software engineering positions can be really boring. Software engineers are often treated as replaceable parts that can be moved around at will. Sometimes they shove process down your throat and don't let you take ownership of what you're working on.

none