Raytheon

www.raytheon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Good place to have a long and stable career.

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Waltham, MA
Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Stability - one review I read said "once you are in, you're in." Good benefits package. Focus on work life balance with flex time, telecommute, etc. Caring management and strong sense of community. Plenty of support and time for learning. Good educational assistance program. Many lifers here as it is an easy place to put in a 30-40 year career.

Cons

Not the most challenging place to work. Plenty of bureaucracy. Similar to working in a federal government organization. Still a sense of hierarchy and "putting in your service" in order to advance. Main business is weaponry - if that doesn't sit well with you it probably isn't a good fit. Lots of ex-military employees. Stability and predictability is paramount - ingenuity, innovation and risk taking are embraced in words but not in practice.

There are many hurdles to attracting young talent. The boring old company image will make it difficult if the job market becomes more competitive.

1570 Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon (View Most Recent)

Good start, get what you need and go.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

Great place to launch a career. Good exposure to technology.

Cons

The culture does not have very much freedom. Felt like I was serving a prison sentence while working there. What isadvertised should be changed to discretionary by management because that is who really decided on everything. Management should not penalize or take it personally when employees leave their organizations. They have a habit of publicly berating and exclusion like I have never seen before. Yet they advertise, "you are in control of your career." When you do take control, management will badmouth you to the rest of the organization in order to deter anyone else from doing the same.
    Management through fear and intimidation is not good for any business.

The big donuts and food at meetings are not fooling anybody. Start being fair to your hard working employees.

Good pay, difficult to succeed.

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer I
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer I

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Good pay and benefits, good work/life balance depending on group you work with.

Cons

Hard to get involved in meaningful work. While work/life balance is stressed in writing, the best way to "get ahead" is working long hours and overtime.

n/a