Raytheon
3.3 of 5 1,261 reviews
www.raytheon.com Waltham, MA 5000+ Employees

Amazing place to gain experience with large budgets, leadership, electronics, software, RF, and system design.

Principal Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou are able to gain leadership experience managing teams, working with large budgets, and building advanced technology products very quickly: a true meritocracy. Self-starters who are able to get their own funding through government agencies and customer contracts get to have the experience of running their own small (and in some cases large) business. Lots of research and development opportunities where one can be surrounded by PhDs and the best RF and Radar engineers in the world are usually plentiful. Publishing is available, bonuses are given for outstanding work, bonuses given for each patent filed. Engineers here that move up will be some of the most well-compensated across any field. The executive and management population is aging rapidly and quickly retiring, creating great opportunities for advancement in the next several years.

ConsAs with any big company there is bureaucracy that slows down innovation at times. There sometimes seem to be endless processes. If you are unable to obtain high level clearances, your career success will be limited. A lot of the really interesting work is classified and cannot be published or even spoken about to uncleared people. You usually obtain projects to work on through your contacts and people network within he company; this can become politicized and is rough on newer employees. Defense industry funding is highly subject to the whims of congress. No stock options or large bonuses are given until an employee becomes relatively highly ranked, at the executive level.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to keep the younger engineers interested in doing great technical work.

A great place to start a career.

Program Control Analyst (Current Employee)
Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Seem to have great benefits depite the changing climate. Cons: Bound by pressures from the government due to type of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Director

Director (Former Employee)
El Segundo, CA

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Great place to work. Great people doing very important… Cons: Sometimes quite bureaucratic Direct funded program/positions are not as secure as… Advice to Senior Management: Dont be afraid to look outside of your industry for… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Raytheon.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Raytheon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Raytheon CEO William H. Swanson. All reviews posted anonymously by Raytheon employees.