Been good so far

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits including 401K with matching contributions up to 4% of salary, modified time, overtime for salaried at straight time for hours over 40. Flexible, no rigid start and end of workday time. Reliable source of employment for past 10+ years. Stability not highly dependent on stock price.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy, hard to get anything done which wears on you. Lots of people in higher positions in large part because of advanced degree, not because of experience or merit. Small annual raises for most people.

Advice to Management

Eliminate clique culture. have managers that are true managers not engineers 90% of their time and managers only 10%.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good Job

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Garland, TX

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

More security than private sector

Cons

personal growth is slow. traversing the corporate hierarchy is hard.

2. ASP.NET Contract Programmer - Texas

Current Contractor - ASP.NET Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Contractor - ASP.NET Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Raytheon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

6-month contract per-hour pay was adequate, about $40/hr for ASP.NET programmers.

Cons

1) Bureaucratic, Clock-Watching micro-managers who want you planted in your seat no more than 6-minutes late - Otherwise you have to call in, which is a real pain due to unpredictable rush-hour traffic during those hours - The dumb thing about that was that we weren't doing anything like phone support that may have required us to be there on time to support customers or something. 2) No allowance for my medical insomnia problems. Ultimately I had to quit because of not not being allowed to sleep late when I needed to - First company in 20 years where thet put up a stink over that. I developed sleep deprivation built up to a point where I'd have to be completely absent 3) Management is obsessive on team collaboration, even though most team meetings were a big waste of time. They never took any of my suggestions anyway. Like most other things, collaboration is only useful in moderation. 4) They were using ASP.NET web applications which should have been using WinForms, due to the need for rapid development, transaction reliability, performance, speed, and the much richer and more ergonomic controls in WinForms. 5) I don't think the Raytheon managers ever believed that WinForms were extremely rapid to develop, compared to finicky ASP.NET apps. They also didn't seem to believe that Winforms' ClickOnce change management would roll out WinForms updates as easily as updating web pages. 6) They were using web pages and the old method of hiding / revealing web controls in JQuery and JavaScript, which not only causes the form size position to jump all over the place, and even worse, those front-end state properties ASP.NET doesn't sync to the back-end.properties. In addition, this caused web pages to grow and shrink, which was confusing for the users - An ideal use for WinForms' Tab control and disable tabs and controls so the form doesn't jump and shrink, for example - thus completely trashing ergonomics. 6) Inventiveness and innovation was discouraged - Strictly coding to incomplete specs written by Project Managers. I'm used to collecting .my own requirements and not having that Project Manager middleman to constantly bug me about milestone due dates, and this and that font not being the exact color, etc - cosmetic junk that could all be coordinated later after the important parts are working, 7) The Project Managers would do annoying things like pre-arrange customer tests weeks in advance, based on estimated completion dates (I suspect to try to make us be on time) - But since they didn't like contractors to work late, I made no attempt to put in overtime

Advice to Management

Raytheon Management should chill out on the micro-management and collaboration to nowhere, loosen up and have REAL flex hours like everyone else, on the hours, and take some advice from someone who has been down the ASP.NET vs Win Forms road many times - ASP.NET has gotten so convoluted trying to make it as good as WinForms, but it's been unsuccessful so far. Inconsistent browsers, JavaScript, JQuery, AJAX, dynamic CSS, Silverlight, etc, ON THE FRONT-END AND c# ON THE BACK-END. - but the events and properties are never consistent, plus the complex authentication / permission schemes that also keep changing and diverging. It's a mess to get it all to work correctly. WinForms is 100% consistent C# or VB.NET on the Front-End and Back-End - no JavaScript, no AJAX, no JQuery to screw up. Events and properties are even consistent front to back, and the web server can almost be eliminated except for providing ClickOnce and Webservices, since the web server doesn't have to handle re-draws, loading data, re-transmitting complete web pages back and forth or rebuilding them - Out of ASP.NET Hell and into WebForms heaven!!! Alternatively, I think WPF (the new XAML - based WinForms) can be hosted inside a ASP.NET web page frame just like an old VB6 Active X object could run inside a classic ASP.NET form. - I tried to get them to listen to me about developing a proof-of-concept which hosts a WPF visual object which handled all user events and called the business objects inside an ASP.NET web page skeleton, but someone over there is an ASP.NET evangelist, which I think is going the wrong direction just because they think web applications are cool. You can't buck a near-religious belief with logic. But your experience may vary.... I think they only treat contractors like children. We're just disposable employees, after all. The permanent employees seem to get much more respect and have a tremendous amount of decision-making involvement. Beware of the Obama sequestration, which was expected to result in layoffs!