There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

I wanted to avoid being a contractor... I became a glorified contractor

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Pasadena, CA
Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lost of opportunities within, lots of CBT training, great projects. Possibility of staying technical or climb up the ladder. If you within a project-oriented competency (developer, researcher, scientist, Q/A, PMP, etc) couldn't find a better place...

Cons

... But if you are like me, a maintenance-oriented professional (DBAs, network/sys admins), well, it feels like trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. Also, the ever present chance that your project is cancelled due to government cuts.

Advice to Management

Business models are not "one-size fit all". Not all your business are project based, hence don't treat them as such.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Intern

Former Intern - Graduate Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Intern - Graduate Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Raytheon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This is Raytheon BBN Technologies, not exactly Raytheon. I worked as an intern in the Speech, Language & Multimedia Technologies Business Unit. The working environment is good. My group has a discussion each week, talking about progress. People are nice. It's a good experience.

Cons

It's a research based company, mainly focusing on publishing papers. So it might not be suitable for everyone.

2. Big Company

Current Employee - IT Architect in Largo, FL
    Current Employee - IT Architect in Largo, FL

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules. Telecommuting, 9/80 alternate schedule, Lots of opportunity. Internal functional groups and external program facing groups tend to be very separate but there are opportunities in both.

Cons

In a downturn for the last few years, cutting employees regularly. Very hard to get promotions...but easy to get increases in responsibility. Functional groups are very distributed, so your manager is likely to be in a different state, making you balance between supporting local priorities or your management priorities. IT is highly outsourced.