There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Raytheon offers engaging work with decent pay and benefits.

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees start with two weeks of paid time off, and they get an extra week after their one year anniversary. Further increases in PTO are much slower. Employees can carry 40 hours of unused PTO for the next year (the carry-over must be used by September, though). Raytheon offers matching 401(K) contributions plan up to 5% of an employee's salary, or the maximum annual 401(K) contribution as allowed by law, whichever is less. The company offers both traditional and Roth IRA's. I think that new employees start with 2% matches and get an additional 1% in the following three years. The company has a number of healthcare plans available to employees and their families. The company pays part of the cost of each plan. Alternate Fridays are off-days. Much of the company works on a 9/80 schedule, which means that they work 80 hours in 9 days, as opposed to the usual 10 days. This means that employees work 9 hours per day Monday through Thursday, 8 hours on a Friday, and have the other Friday off. I consider my work engaging and interesting, but that's because my position does not require me to do the same thing every day. I am aware that there are positions that involve repetitive and tedious work. The pay is decent. The company has a program that reimburses up to $10,000 in education costs per year, but the money will be taken back if the employee voluntarily leaves the company during the next two years. The company makes a concentrated effort to support ethics, diversity, and healthy living in the workplace. The machinists can enroll in a union, the International Association of Machinists & Aerospace Workers.

Cons

The annual merit-based pay raises are barely above inflation. At least in techincal services, merit-based bonuses are usually in the form of a $1,000 achievement award awarded once per year, which are subject to 25%-35% in taxes, depending on the employee's tax bracket. Many engineering jobs require knowledge of specialized software and many years of experience, so they can be hard to obtain if the applicant did not previously work in the defense industry. Exempt employees, which includes administrative, executive, and professional employees, do not receive overtime pay. They can work "extended time", instead. Extended time is paid at the regular hourly rate (as opposed to one and a half times the regular rate for overtime) and requires the manager's approval ahead of time. Some employees become corporate drones and find a niche position where they attempt to become irreplaceable to their organization. As with any large organization, there is a significant amount of bureaucracy that can cause simple tasks to take longer than expected.

Advice to Management

It's in the company's best interest to retain talented employees. They can be kept only for so long by promises of promotion or education reimbursement.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Excellent company to work for

Former Employee - Industrial Security Specialist in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Industrial Security Specialist in Woburn, MA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance, low stress, decent pay,

Cons

Some managers play favorites, lots of ball washing, at times candidates were selected based on degree levels not experience.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the importance of the security (IT/Program) staff

Extremely slow paced, easy to get lost as an early career employee.

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Sudbury, MA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Sudbury, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent amount of resources at the company to tap into. Flexible scheduling with 9/80 and mod time.

Cons

Takes awhile for anything to get done. Easy to get lost. Tons of great engineers and not enough work to be done. Very old school management

Advice to Management

Help early career employees find a path and a task to be passionate about.