Raytheon

www.raytheon.com
  www.raytheon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Great company -- treats interns very well.

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Garland, TX
Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Garland, TX

I worked at Raytheon as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Given the opportunity to learn a variety of new things, work very well with interns, don't pinch pennies in terms of infrastructure and software

Cons

Can be a little bit political, which isn't surprising given the size of the company and nature of the work. Nothing that all large companies don't have.

Find talent quickly; mid-level management could tell you right away who the most competent people are. Some of the most talented engineers are stuck climbing the ladder with everyone else, while they could be making a difference immediately. Also, the structure for finding people to lead new projects needs work -- resumes aren't a good indicator. Instead, again -- ask mid-level management who interact with engineers on a daily basis.

1528 Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon (View Most Recent)

A decent place to visit, but I couldn't afford to stay there

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Arlington, VA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I thought Raytheon was mostly fine. The benefits were fine. My coworkers were mostly good and helpful people. There was rarely an expectation to work past normal hours.

Cons

Compensation. I started out in a very junior role simply assisting a senior engineer maintain and develop some JSP sites. After a year though, the senior engineer found a new job elsewhere and I was left to maintain those sites alone. Later, I was tasked with entirely new development efforts in ASP.NET and SharePoint. That's the context I provide when I now inform you that in my nearly five years there I received no promotions, and my raises did not even keep pace with the rate of inflation much less surpass it.

You'll note below that I did check the box recommending this company to a friend. I do that because I think this division of Raytheon would still be fine for a short stint of say 2-3 years. Plus my situation was probably a bit more extreme than normal. My only advice is that if you feel you're getting shortchanged when the annual raise time comes around, don't believe them when they say it will be better next year.

I know Raytheon is a large company, so I'm sure of their management already knows this, but those that don't need to realize that undervaluing your employees may save you money in the short run, but is probably costing the company a fortune in the long run. The costs of high turnover are not insignificant.

Stable but no room for growth

Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Fullerton, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Fullerton, CA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As stable as it gets, great people to work with, great work/life balance

Cons

No growth potential; low compensation

Reward the high performers instead of operating with the notion that seniority counts for more than performance/potential

There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon