Raytheon

www.raytheon.com

30+ years of stable employment

Current Employee - Manager  in  El Segundo, CA
Current Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA

Pros

Not many people in my area get laid off. There is interesting technical work. I work with a pleasant group of people. I have the opportunity to interface directly with my government customer.

Cons

Typical politics, especially if you want to rise. Since Raytheon took over, I've seen a lot of program managers get pushed aside if they don't pass muster. There's definitely a ceiling beyond which you must have strong political skills to rise above.

Be more broad-minded in considering internal applicants for open positions. Having worked for the company for as long as I have, my history precedes me to any interviews.

Other reviews for Raytheon

BORRRINNGG but great work-life balance

Former Employee - Intern  in  Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Garland, TX

Pros

The benefits and pay are great. The people are also very nice and there are lots of online training courses to take.

Cons

Knowledge and information sharing aren't the greatest at Raytheon. I had to work really hard at getting in contact with the right people and sometimes I would be on a wild-goose chase trying to find those people. Also, in the group I was in, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of bonding or friendships between the team. (No lunches, or really anything that didn't involve work.)

Make it fun! Sponsor some activities for the employees to get involved in at work. Get the employees away from their computers for 30 minutes a day!

Good Company for Quality of Life

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Fullerton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fullerton, CA

Pros

Flexible work schedule - can come in late, leave for appointments, swap time worked on weekends for regular workweek.

Telecommuting - some people can work from home a couple of days a week, or more
    9/80 Fridays - work 9 hours/day Monday-Thursday, work 8 hours one Friday, get every other Friday off. This is like getting 3 day weekends ever other week. Combine with 1 day PTO for a four day weekend.

Respect - Usually feels like people trust each other to get their work done and there is a certain feeling of independence and autonomy.

Very good benefits - wide array of medical insurance options available from HMO to PPO to HSA, great medical and life insurance options as well. Match 100% of upto 4% salary going into 401k.

Stability - there is a very good chance that once you get hired you will have a job for the rest of your life. If work runs out, they usually can keep you employed for several months while they find you something else to work on. Depending on where you are, you may have to move, however.

Travel - depending on the project you work, you may have opportunities for international and national travel.

Cons

Compensation - seems a little bit low for Software Engineers compared to places like Google and Microsoft. Our bonuses are very small and we get no equity.

Advancement - mostly seniority based since there are a lot of old-timers who have been with the company for a long time. Flat hierarchy reduces number of management or leadership type of positions.

Incentives - monetary incentives to work harder and to be innovative are very weak and almost laughable. No stock options and only the upper levels of management get meaningful bonuses.

Bureaucracy - lots of politics and brown nosing depending on which projects you work on. This is unavoidable in a very large company like Raytheon.

Education - internal training focuses on process, government regulation, and ethics. Raytheon seems to be behind the curve on advancements in cutting edge technology. Change comes about slowly in a large defense company. Also, they don't have very good benefits for helping you get advanced degrees.

Skills - many people suffer from loss of skills in the technical field. Some people get stuck working with proprietary programming languages that hinders their ability to get a job at another company. However, the brightest people usually get to work with the more difficult, and more marketable, programming languages. It is also easy to get stuck working on a multi-year, even decades long, project where your skill set can become out-dated.

Give better compensation for your better employees. Give equity and bigger bonuses to motivate people. Spend more money on research and development.

There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!