Raytheon

www.raytheon.com

A decent place to visit, but I couldn't afford to stay there

Software Engineer II (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsI thought Raytheon was mostly fine. The benefits were fine. My coworkers were mostly good and helpful people. There was rarely an expectation to work past normal hours.

ConsCompensation. I started out in a very junior role simply assisting a senior engineer maintain and develop some JSP sites. After a year though, the senior engineer found a new job elsewhere and I was left to maintain those sites alone. Later, I was tasked with entirely new development efforts in ASP.NET and SharePoint. That's the context I provide when I now inform you that in my nearly five years there I received no promotions, and my raises did not even keep pace with the rate of inflation much less surpass it.

You'll note below that I did check the box recommending this company to a friend. I do that because I think this division of Raytheon would still be fine for a short stint of say 2-3 years. Plus my situation was probably a bit more extreme than normal. My only advice is that if you feel you're getting shortchanged when the annual raise time comes around, don't believe them when they say it will be better next year.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know Raytheon is a large company, so I'm sure of their management already knows this, but those that don't need to realize that undervaluing your employees may save you money in the short run, but is probably costing the company a fortune in the long run. The costs of high turnover are not insignificant.

Stable but no room for growth

Financial Analyst II (Current Employee) Fullerton, CA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than a year

Pros: As stable as it gets, great people to work with,… Cons: No growth potential; low compensation Advice to Senior Management: Reward the high performers instead of operating with the notion… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Many good engineers to work with, but many average or below as well, and too many managers.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Good place to develop programming skills as a software engineer. Many good engineers to work with and… Cons: Many average engineers that are carried by the stronger engineers. Also, there are many engineers in positions that provide little value to the program,… Advice to Senior Management: Stop treating developers as though they are interchangeable. Stop burdening engineers with meaningless… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Raytheon.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!