Raytheon Review

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Andover, MA
Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Andover, MA

I worked at Raytheon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Latest technology, 20 bilion dollar company, work life balance, Defense contract

Cons

Lay off due to defense contracts cuts

Advice to Management

None

reviews filtered by

Negative

I worked at Raytheon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have had longevity as a company till now, salary and benefits are good. There is no indication of discrimination.

Cons

Work space built for keeping eye on employees--dehumanizing lack of privacy, in fact, dehumanizing in general. Concern seems to be ultimately with form, not function--politics. Research and development there is essentially dead--the company's future seems to depend upon shrewd lobbying with Washington. Worked for (legacy-Hughes) Raytheon about a decade before, things have gone far downhill in my view. I was warned about these realities by a former supervisor before hiring in--but I couldn't afford to heed his advice, as I needed the work for as long as it lasted.

Advice to Management

Greater sensitivity to your employees, not "politically correct" tinsel for PR. Invest seriously in IR&D -- particularly your semiconductor/general-electronics capabilities -- if you are serious about the company having a future and not just scraping a good look on the next quarter profits presentation. Raytheon was once a good company with a future--its up to you to make it such again.

2. Exiting, Challenging, Rewarding but above all honored to be part of a company that looks out for the war fighter.

Current Employee - Information Technology
    Current Employee - Information Technology

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's great to be part of a company that supports and rewards job rotation and hard work. Over the last couple of years the company has invested a great deal in their tools to help an employee succeed. Whether that is online training, mobile tools or computers.

Cons

Defense Contractors are somewhat old school. Very slow to adapt to new working environments. There also appears to be a generation gap in the way we think, plan and execute.

Advice to Management

Old School thinking can be changed by upper management. Merge old school and new school ways of thinking for best result