There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

Raytheon is a good place to work if you are in one of the good groups, but the

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer I in Woburn, MA
Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer I in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

If you are working in one of the premiere groups, the work is extremely interesting and there is plenty of opportunites to advance. Recognition is sometimes hard to come by through financial rewards, but usually the successful are rewarded with more interesting work and respect from their bosses and peers. Raytheon is very dedicated to making sure that their employees have a good work life balance in their lives.

Cons

If you do not work for an elite group, it's very easy to get stuck in the same job for years and not be given to the opportunity to prove yourself or to advance. The internal politics and "empire building" can sometimes be a bit overwhelming. Frequently the individuals that are hired into the company at a higher grade are not as qualified as the people of lower grades who have been working there for years.

Advice to Management

Give credit where credit is due and reward those doing the work rather than those who manage them.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Raytheon NCS is a decent place to work with flexible work hours and decent wages if you don't mind bad management.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Fullerton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Fullerton, CA

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Raytheon NCS is a stable place to work. There is an optional 9/80 schedule where you work 80 hours in 9 days, meaning every other Friday is off. Benefits are good and as long as you get on a good project you'll be satisfied.

Cons

Raytheon NCS, like most defense companies, generally uses older mature technologies. If you're into learning new technolgy, this is not the place for you. Raises and profit sharing are pathetic. If you're unlucky enough to get put on a bad project, you'll work long hours with no overtime.

Advice to Management

Leadership at NCS has no clue. CMMI is their culture, but I think the process is overboard since Raytheon Fullerton Operations (RFO) is a Level 5. As a result, they think they can predict a project's outcome and schedule, but they're always too ambitious. All projects are behind schedule so the employees get blamed when its management's fault for relying too much on CMMI. Since management is older, they don't adopt newer agile software development methods. Things are managed in a waterfall process, which we all know does not work.

2. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer II in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Direct management (i.e. the folks I really work for) is excellent. Pay is competitive, and work/life balance is excellent. The flexible work schedule, when workload allows, is very beneficial. My experience has been that the company works hard to place employees between contracts.

Cons

It can be stressful when the project you're working on ends, depending on what new contracts are being awarded. Emphasis on Six Sigma is annoying. Benefits are not what they were when I first joined the company.

Advice to Management

Ease up on Six Sigma.